1986VG1 was discovered by astronomer Eric Walter Elst at the Haute-Provence Observatory in southeastern France, and was named "Ulysses" after the main character of Homer's Odyssey. Being a small moon on the orbit of Jupiter, it was not deemed a threat by its finders. At some point in 1994, Ulysses was impacted by Polyphemus, a standalone Jupiter Trojan not discovered until that point, causing the former to split into a cluster of over ten thousand meteors.
The swarm of asteroids formed by the impact event adopted an orbit synchronous with the Sun rather than Jupiter that would eventually cross with Earth, causing humanity to build the Stonehenge interception networks in an attempt to defend against the impending impact. The cluster reached Earth in 1999 and struck multiple regions across the world, causing the Ulysses Disaster.
- This asteroid shares its name with the real-life 5254 Ulysses. However, the real Ulysses is a Jupiter Trojan rather than a moon of Jupiter. Additionally, the real Ulysses was not close enough to Jupiter in 1994 to be considered a threat to any of its moons. To this day, it still remains as a non-threat to Earth.
- This is the Ace Combat Infinity counterpart to the Ulysses 1994XF04 Asteroid, which devastated Earth in the alternate world of Strangereal.
- According to the minor planet naming system used in the real world, the name "1986VG1" states that:
- The asteroid was discovered in the year 1986.
- It was discovered between 1 November and 15 November (determined by the "V").
- It was the 32nd asteroid discovered in that 15 day time period (determined by the "G1").