Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is the upcoming 17th entry in the Ace Combat series. It will release on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam in 2018. The game will also feature optional VR support, exclusively through the PlayStation VR.
Ace Combat 7 was initially revealed through an Ace Combat Infinity data leak in November 2015. It received an official announcement trailer at PlayStation Experience in December 2015, and its second trailer aired at the next PS Experience in December 2016. As of the second trailer airing, the game is 50% complete. An extended version of the second trailer was released in late January 2017. In May, the game's release date was changed to 2018 from the initial 2017 estimate.
Main article: Osea-Erusea Conflict
Few other details are available. A space elevator near Usea known as Lighthouse and its defender, the FAS, will be central to the plot. The game's story cutscenes will be from the perspective of multiple characters, similar in a way to Ace Combat 04's cutscenes that were from the perspective of the Side Story Narrator. The theme of "comparison" will be significant throughout the game; manned vs unmanned, veterans vs rookies, etc.
This list will be incomplete until the release of the game. See Category:Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown characters for all characters added to the wiki.
According to the newest trailer, the HUD will be very similar to that of Ace Combat Infinity. Flares will be returning for player control from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. Clouds will play a major role in gameplay for the first time, providing a degree of stealth and hampering visibility. According to producer Kazutoki Kono, other important aspects of gameplay with 7 are allowing players to manually perform advanced maneuvers as well as "improving strategic aspects against enemies".
Unlike Assault Horizon and Infinity, helicopters and Piston Fighters will not make an appearance in 7; the game will focus solely on jet aircraft.
Ace Combat 7 will have optional support for PlayStation VR. VR support on Steam is unconfirmed.
The extent of PS VR's support in the game's campaign and multiplayer modes are unclear. According to Kazutoki Kono, the main campaign and the VR experience are being developed separately, and VR will sacrifice some visual detail to maintain the required 60 frames per second.
When playing in VR, the player will be forced into cockpit mode; first-person and third-person are not available. The player must turn their head to look at an enemy in order to lock on to them, at which point they can fire missiles as usual. Holding down the Options button will recalibrate the headset. The HUD elements - radar, ammo, time limit, etc. - will be moved to the bottom of the screen and made semi-transparent. The player will be able to look down and see the entire cockpit, including the pilot's legs. The pilot will interact with the plane's controls, despite the player holding a Dualshock controller.
Trailers & Interviews
Also see Category:Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown for all Ace Combat 7 screenshots uploaded to Acepedia!
- Ace Combat 7 will be the first...
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation to feature a number in the title;
- ...console Ace Combat game since Ace Combat 6 to take place in the Strangereal universe;
- ...Ace Combat game to release on 8th-generation home consoles;
- ...Ace Combat game to use a third-party engine, namely Unreal Engine 4;
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on PC;
- ...Strangereal-based Ace Combat game on PC;
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War to feature local multiplayer; and the first
- ...Ace Combat game to be localized in Traditional Chinese.
- Project Aces was not initially certain on having a subtitle for Ace Combat 7. On December 6, 2016, the Skies Unknown subtitle was leaked. It was formally announced on January 26, 2017.
- Immediately prior to the Ace Combat 7 announcement trailer's first airing, Asad Qizilbash, head of Software Marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America, described "staying up all night to unlock this easter egg, it was a FALKEN fighter", referencing Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- On November 15, 2014, Bandai Namco producer Katsuhiro Harada (producer of the Tekken series) stated that Ace Combat would never get VR support due to the "horizontal" being "shaken violently" as if one was drunk. The fact that Ace Combat 7 supports PlayStation VR shows a shift in Bandai Namco's acceptance of virtual reality for those who can physically tolerate the technology.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Letter to ACE COMBAT Fans. BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America. Published on May 16, 2017. Retrieved on May 16, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 @PROJECT_ACES on Twitter. Published on May 16, 2017.
- ↑ PSX 2015: Ace Combat 7 Revealed. IGN. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Ace Combat 7 coming to Xbox One and PC, 'New Years Showcase' trailer. Gematsu. Published on January 26, 2017. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- ↑ Ace Combat 7. PlayStation. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 PS4 Exclusive Ace Combat 7 Will Support PS4 Pro; Producer Talks Developing for PS4 and PlayStation VR. DualShockers. Published on December 4, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 kazutoki. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - New Years Showcase Trailer.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown Text Logo.png.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Ace Combat 7 Takes Place 10 Year After The Events Of Ace Combat 5. Siliconera, translated from a Famitsu excerpt. Published on December 6, 2016. Retrieved on December 6, 2016.
- ↑ PS4 Exclusive Ace Combat 7 Gets First Awesome 4K Screenshots and Information. DualShockers. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015. The file featuring the FAS has "FAS" in its filename. The "01" is used by other images in the same article, which means there is no secondary "-01" designation.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 「エースコンバット 7」VRデモのプレイレポート。トレイラーではさまざまな革新が見られたが，操作感はPS2風？. 4gamer.net. Published on December 4, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ Hey everyone it's the OH SHIT guy again I have some juicy info for you.. Reddit. Published December 8, 2015. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Famitsu interview with Kazutoki Kono. Officially published in print on December 10, 2015. Full interview published on December 17, 2015.
- ↑ 9lives sprak met Ace Combat 7-producer Kazutoki Kono. 9lives. Published January 12, 2016. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- ↑ PlayStation Experience: Ace Combat 7 VR Hands-On: Highway To the Danger Zone. WWG. Published on December 3, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ File:AC7 PS VR Demo Controls.jpg.
- ↑ PROJECT_ACES. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ Unreal Engine. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- ↑ 【TpGS17】《空戰奇兵7》將推出繁體中文版 製作人河野一聰訪談. Mobile01. Published on January 21, 2017. Retrieved on January 21, 2017.
- ↑ 「サマーレッスン」体験実録。「Project Morpheus」で話題沸騰の技術デモはいかにして生まれたのか。鉄拳チーム原田氏に根掘り葉掘り聞いてきた. 4gamer. Published November 15, 2014. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
|Ace Combat series|