Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (エースコンバット7 スカイズ・アンノウン) is the upcoming 17th entry in the Ace Combat series. It will release on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam in 2018. The game will also feature optional VR support, exclusively through the PlayStation VR.
Ace Combat 7 was initially revealed through an Ace Combat Infinity data leak in November 2015. Official trailers were later shown during PlayStation Experience 2015 and 2016, and an extended version of the PSX 2016 trailer was released in late January 2017. The game was originally scheduled to release in 2017, but this was pushed back to 2018. A new trailer and demo were shown at E3 2017.
Main article: Osea-Erusea Conflict
Around 2020, the country of Erusea - which had reformed into a Kingdom - declared war on the Osean Federation for unknown reasons. Prior to this, a space elevator was constructed southwest of Usea, which will have significance in the conflict. The space elevator is defended by aerial warships, designated "FAS", that carry 80 MQ-101 UAVs.
The game's story cutscenes will be from the perspective of multiple characters, similar in a way to Ace Combat 04's cutscenes that were from the perspective of the Side Story Narrator. The theme of "comparison" (between manned and unmanned, veterans and rookies, etc.) will be central to the plot.
This list will be incomplete until the release of the game. See Category:Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown characters for all characters added to the wiki.
Ace Combat 7's flight model and controls will feel most similar to Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War and Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. The HUD will be very similar to that of Ace Combat Infinity. In addition, flares will be returning for player control from Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.
Clouds will play a major role in gameplay for the first time in the series. Units inside of clouds, including the player, will gain stealth. However, visibility is poor inside clouds, and the player will risk crashing into other aircraft or the terrain. It has also been reported that the player's aircraft will ice and stall if they stay in cloud cover for too long.
Producer Kazutoki Kono stated that other important aspects of Ace Combat 7's gameplay will include allowing players to manually perform advanced maneuvers as well as "improving strategic aspects against enemies".
Unlike Assault Horizon and Infinity, helicopters and Piston Fighters will not make an appearance in 7; the game will focus solely on jet aircraft.
Ace Combat 7 will feature optional virtual reality support, exclusive to the PlayStation VR headset on PlayStation 4. The VR portion of the game will be an exclusive set of missions separate from the main campaign. The VR missions will not be playable without PlayStation VR; conversely, the main missions will not be playable in VR. In addition, VR will sacrifice some visual detail to maintain the required 60 frames per second.
When playing in VR, the player will be forced into cockpit mode; first-person and third-person are not available. The player must turn their head to look at an enemy in order to lock on to them, at which point they can fire missiles as usual. Holding down the Options button will recalibrate the headset. The HUD elements - radar, ammo, time limit, etc. - will be moved to the bottom of the screen and made semi-transparent. The player will be able to look down and see the entire cockpit, including the pilot's legs. The pilot will interact with the plane's controls, despite the player holding a Dualshock controller.
Trailers & Interviews
Also see Category:Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown for all Ace Combat 7 screenshots uploaded to Acepedia!
- Ace Combat 7 will be the first...
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation to feature a number in the title;
- ...console Ace Combat game since Ace Combat 6 to take place in the Strangereal universe;
- ...Ace Combat game to release on 8th-generation home consoles;
- ...Ace Combat game to use a third-party engine, namely Unreal Engine 4;
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on PC;
- ...Strangereal-based Ace Combat game on PC;
- ...Ace Combat game since Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War to feature local multiplayer; and the first
- ...Ace Combat game to be localized in Traditional Chinese.
- Project Aces was not initially certain on having a subtitle for Ace Combat 7. On December 6, 2016, the Skies Unknown subtitle was leaked. It was formally announced on January 26, 2017.
- Immediately prior to the Ace Combat 7 announcement trailer's first airing, Asad Qizilbash, head of Software Marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America, described "staying up all night to unlock this easter egg, it was a FALKEN fighter", referencing Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- On November 15, 2014, Bandai Namco producer Katsuhiro Harada (producer of the Tekken series) stated that Ace Combat would never get VR support due to the "horizontal" being "shaken violently" as if one was drunk. The fact that Ace Combat 7 supports PlayStation VR shows a shift in Bandai Namco's acceptance of virtual reality for those who can physically tolerate the technology.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Letter to ACE COMBAT Fans. BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America. Published on May 16, 2017. Retrieved on May 16, 2017.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 @PROJECT_ACES on Twitter. Published on May 16, 2017.
- ↑ PSX 2015: Ace Combat 7 Revealed. IGN. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Ace Combat 7 coming to Xbox One and PC, 'New Years Showcase' trailer. Gematsu. Published on January 26, 2017. Retrieved on January 26, 2017.
- ↑ Ace Combat 7. PlayStation. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 PS4 Exclusive Ace Combat 7 Will Support PS4 Pro; Producer Talks Developing for PS4 and PlayStation VR. DualShockers. Published on December 4, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 kazutoki. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 8.16 8.17 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - New Years Showcase Trailer.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown Text Logo.png.
- ↑ File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - E3 2017 Trailer.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Ace Combat 7 Takes Place 10 Year After The Events Of Ace Combat 5. Siliconera, translated from a Famitsu excerpt. Published on December 6, 2016. Retrieved on December 6, 2016.
- ↑ Ace Combat 7 Interview: Producer Talks PS4 Pro, VR, Fictional World, Ace Combat 4/5 Comparison and More. DualShockers. Published December 15, 2016. Retrieved December 16, 2016.
- ↑ PS4 Exclusive Ace Combat 7 Gets First Awesome 4K Screenshots and Information. DualShockers. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015. The file featuring the FAS has "FAS" in its filename. The "01" is used by other images in the same article, which means there is no secondary "-01" designation.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 「エースコンバット 7」VRデモのプレイレポート。トレイラーではさまざまな革新が見られたが，操作感はPS2風？. 4gamer.net. Published on December 4, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown Goes Back To Its Roots. GameSpot. Published on January 26, 2017. Retrieved on January 28, 2017.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Famitsu interview with Kazutoki Kono. Officially published in print on December 10, 2015. Full interview published on December 17, 2015.
- ↑ 9lives sprak met Ace Combat 7-producer Kazutoki Kono. 9lives. Published January 12, 2016. Retrieved February 9, 2016.
- ↑ PlayStation Experience: Ace Combat 7 VR Hands-On: Highway To the Danger Zone. WWG. Published on December 3, 2016. Retrieved on December 4, 2016.
- ↑ File:AC7 PS VR Demo Controls.jpg.
- ↑ PROJECT_ACES. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- ↑ Unreal Engine. Twitter. Published December 5, 2015. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- ↑ 【TpGS17】《空戰奇兵7》將推出繁體中文版 製作人河野一聰訪談. Mobile01. Published on January 21, 2017. Retrieved on January 21, 2017.
- ↑ 「サマーレッスン」体験実録。「Project Morpheus」で話題沸騰の技術デモはいかにして生まれたのか。鉄拳チーム原田氏に根掘り葉掘り聞いてきた. 4gamer. Published November 15, 2014. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
|Ace Combat series|