Aces At War: A History is an official artbook produced by Project Aces. First created in late 2011 to promote the release of Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, it is centered on Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, The Unsung War and The Belkan War, the core games of the PlayStation 2 trilogy.
It was bundled with all copies of the special edition of Assault Horizon in Japan. As such, it was never released in the West.
The book opens with a confidential document written and signed by Osean Federation President Vincent Harling, created before the events of The Unsung War's White Bird (Part II), in which he authorizes all aircraft of the Osean Air Defense Force to attack the hijacked Arkbird spacecraft on its way to attack the Yuktobanian city of Okchabursk.
The pages after the document contains the tales of "A Blue Dove for the Princess" and the Demon of Razgriz. The prologue section ends at page #10, which is followed by the introductory section.
The book is divided into six major sections. In order:
- "Wings Over Osea" (pages #11 through #31) details the events and major characters of the Circum-Pacific War from The Unsung War.
- "The Shot" (pages #33 through #53) explains the background and design details of the PlayStation 2 trilogy's superweapons.
- "State of the Art Fighters Change the Course of War" provides details on the history and development of the ADF-01 FALKEN, the ADFX-01/02 Morgan and the X-02 Wyvern, the three main fictional fighters of the pre-Ace Combat X timeline.
- "Man At War" contains artwork and biographies on the trilogy's central characters.
- "Flags & Insignias" contains imagery of the emblems and insignias seen through the PlayStation 2 trilogy.
- "History of War" provides a detailed timeline of Strangereal, spanning from the 1970s to December 31, 2010.