- For the PlayStation console game, see Air Combat (PS1).
Air Combat (Japanese: エアーコンバット Eā Konbatto) was an arcade game released by Namco in 1993.
The game ran on the Namco System 21, which was the first arcade board specifically made for processing 3D polygons. This system was succeeded by the Namco System 22, which was utilized for Air Combat 22, the direct sequel to Air Combat. The two games were the predecessors to the Ace Combat series.
The Cold War collapses. The new world order is shaped by economic power. The only weapons are consumer products. They have no political or military siginificance. But the world economy grows so rapidly that a great power emerges with every military weapon. To advance its selfish interests the country aims its arsenal against its neighbors. Day after day conflict intensifies. Finally, UN forces are ordered to attack.
As Falcon 1, the player controls a F-16C Fighting Falcon, and has to shoot down 6 enemy aircraft within a time limit.
There are three difficulties in the game: Cadet, Captain, and Ace.
- In Cadet difficulty, the player has to destroy 3 bombers and 2 fighter jets.
- In Captain difficulty, the player has to destroy 2 bombers and 4 fighter jets.
- In Ace difficulty, the player has to destroy 6 figher jets.
In Ace difficulty, all hostile aircraft will use countermeasures to defeat incoming missiles, therefore player must use the gun to take them down. Once all 6 of them are shot down, the player is given the oppurtunity to land on an aircraft carrier. If successful, an extra mission comes in, where the player has to shoot down a red Flanker within 1 minute.
- B-52 Stratofortress
- F-4J Phantom II
- JA 37 Viggen
- Harrier GR.1
- B-2A Spirit
- F-14A Tomcat
- Su-27 Flanker-B
- F-15C Eagle
- YF-23 Black Widow II
- Su-35 Super Flanker
- The pilot ejects from the aircraft when it is destroyed unlike almost every other Ace Combat game, giving the player a non-violent ending.
- Although the title screen says 1992, Air Combat was released in June 1993 in Japan.
|Ace Combat series|