Avalanche Squadron, officially the 2nd Strike Fighter Squadron, was an Emmerian Navy squadron assigned to the 2nd Carrier Air Wing. The squadron was led by Freddie Durand and was named after his callsign. Avalanche Squadron was one of many Emmerian air squadrons that saw combat during the Emmeria-Estovakia War. The squadron flew F/A-18F Super Hornets throughout the war.
Avalanche Squadron participated in the war since Estovakia's invasion of Gracemeria. The squadron assisted in preventing the total destruction of Gracemeria, but was forced to retreat after Nimbus missiles wiped out significantly large portions of the Emmerian military.
Following the loss of Gracemeria, the squadron was stationed at Vitoze on Khesed Island along with the majority of the Republic of Emmeria Air Force. In November and December of 2015, Avalanche participated in aerial operations to drive the Estovakians off of Khesed Island. The squadron later assisted in Emmeria's landing operation on the Anean mainland.
While on the mainland, Avalanche Squadron helped in rescuing Emmerian forces pinned down in Silvat Town and provided air support during the ground forces' push through the Selumna Peaks, which was interrupted by another Nimbus attack. The Emmerian Joint Chiefs of Staff determined that an aerial assault on Estovakia's Aerial Fleet was necessary to eliminate the Nimbus threat; Avalanche subsequently took part in the liberation of San Loma and the assault on the Aerial Fleet, where they assisted Garuda Team in taking down the P-1112 Aigaion.
With the threat of Nimbus missiles eliminated, Avalanche Squadron participated in further battles as Emmerian forces inched closer to Gracemeria. On March 31, 2016, the squadron took part in Operation Free Gracemeria by destroying Estovakian jammer aircraft at high altitude above the city. That night, while on a recon patrol with other Emmerian squadrons, Avalanche defended the city from a new barrage of cruise missiles and stealth fighters.
The next day, with calculations provided by AWACS Ghost Eye, Avalanche Squadron took part in investigating an area near Sonne Island where the cruise missiles originated from. The squadron came across the Chandelier, and, after having been provided data from Victor Voychek, assisted their allies in attacking and destroying the weapon.
- The markings on Avalanche Squadron's aircraft draw inspiration from two real-world United States Navy squadrons: the VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers" (yellow tip on black tail) and the VFA-14 "Tophatters" (markings on the fuselage behind the cockpit and the tail).
- Every pilot's callsign in Avalanche Squadron is related to cold or ice:
- The in-game menus in Ace Combat 6 referred to the squadron as the "Avalanche air unit". Ace Combat Infinity was the first game to name it "Avalanche Squadron".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Invasion of Gracemeria, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 F/A-18F -Avalanche- description, Ace Combat Infinity.
- ↑ Ace Combat 6 Assault Records - Freddie Durand.
- ↑ Bartolomeo Fortress, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Anea Landing, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Siege on Silvat, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Selumna Peak, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ San Loma Assault, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Heavy Command Cruiser, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Ragno Fortress, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Weapons of Mass Destruction, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ The Liberation of Gracemeria, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Gracemeria Patrol, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.
- ↑ Chandelier, Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation.