All right, gentlemen, it's time to clean house!
This article or section may require a cleanup to meet Acepedia's quality standards.
The Belkan Air Force is the aviation arm of Belka's military. First established during the early 20th century, it became one of the most powerful air forces, being famous in the whole world for creating numerous elite pilots among its ranks.
- "Those who rule the sky will rule the ground."
- ― Franklin Goernitz
In the midst of the Osean War of 1905-1910, the potential of aircraft as weapons of war was perceived by a Belkan minister, Franklin Goernitz. Goernitz' actions laid the foundation of what would become the Belkan Air Force, which soon started to shift aircraft from reconnaissance missions to offensive duties on the battlefield.
Though the war was won by the Oseans, the Belkan army scored an important achievement with the first widespread use of aircraft in offensive warfare, a choice which set a standard for many other nations of their era. Initially, the use of planes was limited to bombing duties; however, this changed with the realization that air superiority had greater importance than ground bombing, which led to the production of aircraft centered on extreme mobility.
Later years and the Belkan War
In the following decades, the Belkan Air Force grew larger and increasingly advanced in technology, quickly becoming one of the most powerful air forces in existence. In the 1970s and 1980s, the Belkan government used its industrial power to create next-generation superweapons under the "Project Pendragon" initiative, which led to the birth of two new weapons planned to be used by the Belkans: the XB-0 Hresvelgr and the ADFX "Morgan" prototype aircraft.
The Belkan Air Force became involved in conflict in 1995 with the outbreak of the Belkan War. In the first days of the war, the air force effortlessly crushed the Republic of Ustio's resistance, driving back the remaining survivors into the Tyrann Mountains at the south. The combined efforts of Ustio and Osea led to several initial defeats, and eventually their expulsion fron the country after the fall of Directus, the capital. From the liberation of Directus onward, the air force was repeatedly defeated and driven back by the allied forces, losing more personnel and several elite pilots through the course of the war, until the Belkan Army surrendered after the Northern Belka nuclear detonations of June 6.
By the time the war had officially ended, the Belkan Air Force was completely ravaged, having lost large numbers of pilots and aircraft alike. In the post-war period, a general planned the reconstruction of the Air Force, but his plans were ruined by the cuts in government spending.
Characteristics and structure
The Belkan Air Force was a complex organization, which followed the militaristic and nationalist principles set by the Belkan knights of old. In the modern era, the Belkan Air Force was centered around two main pillars: education and industrial might, the latter of which was its backbone.
The Air Force highly valued the lives of its soldiers and personnel, understanding the difficulty of replacing skilled pilots, placing emphasis on the single rule of returning from the battlefield alive. The training regime for new pilots is divided into various small classes, and teaches them practical skills to use in warfare to turn them into fearsome fighters. A number of academies are known to exist, one of which is the "Kellerman Institution", which was known for producing numerous elite airmen. Furthermore, connections existed with other air forces from all over the world, which gave pilots the chance of serving abroad.
The Belkan Air Force, like other air forces from across the planet, is divided into divisions, which in turn are split into squadrons. Other divisions also exist, such as the "Aviation Test Corps", which is responsible for testing new aircraft and flight technologies.
- See also: List of aces in Ace Combat Zero
Numerous units have existed in the history of the Belkan Air Force. Squadrons and units are commonly named after German nouns and words, while major units are named after colors.
2nd Air Division
3rd Air Division
- 13th Tactical Fighter Squadron GrauWespe (Grey Wasp)
- 19th Tactical Fighter Squadron GrauOrca (Grey Orca)
- GrauFalk (Grey Falcon) Squadron
- GrauKater (Grey Cat) Squadron
5th Air Division
- 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron "Gelb" (Yellow)
- 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron
6th Air Division
7th Air Division
- 51st Tactical Fighter Squadron "Indigo"
- 65th Tactical Fighter Squadron
9th Air Division
- 17th Tactical Fighter Squadron
10th Air Division
12th Air Division
- 29th Tactical Fighter Squadron
13th Night Fighter Air Division
18th Air Division
22nd Air Division
51st Air Division
- Bussard Squadron: A recurring Belkan squadron
- Drossel Squadron: A recurring Belkan squadron
- Falke Squadron: A recurring Belkan squadron
- Lynx Squadron: an squadron which engaged the 66th AFU after the June 6 nuclear detonations.
- Vampir Squadron: a fighter squadron destroyed during the siege of Glatisant.
- Gabel Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Postler Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Schakal Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Eisvogel Squadron: defected to the "A World With No Boundaries" group. Destroyed defending the XB-0 Hresvelgr in December 1995.
- Unknown Belkan Separatist Squadron: an unnamed team of Belkans who attempted to stop the Waldreich nuclear attack.
- Bussard Squadron
- Drossel Squadron
- Falke Squadron
- Meteor Squadron
- 229th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Grabacr"
- 5th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Ofnir"
- F-4E Phantom II
- F-5E Tiger II
- F-20A Tigershark
- F-14D Super Tomcat
- F-15C Eagle
- F-15E Strike Eagle
- F-16C Fighting Falcon
- F-2A Viper Zero
- F-1 Kaizen
- F/A-18C Hornet
- EA-18G Growler
- EA-6B Prowler
- F-22A Raptor
- YF-23A Black Widow II
- F-35C Lightning II
- F-117A Nighthawk
- AV-8B Harrier II plus
- A-10A Thunderbolt II
- Tornado GR.4
- Mirage 2000D
- Rafale M
- J35J Draken
- JAS-39C Gripen
- MiG-21bis Fishbed
- MiG-29A Fulcrum
- MiG-31 Foxhound
- Su-27 Flanker
- Su-32 Strike Flanker
- Su-37 Terminator
- Su-47 Berkut
- ADFX-02 Morgan
- C-130 Hercules
- C-17A Globemaster III
- CH-47 Chinook
- AH-64A Apache
- SR-71 Blackbird
- XB-70 Valkyrie
- HH-60 Pavehawk
- YF-23A Black Widow II
- Tornado ECR
- MiG-1.44 Flatpack
- Su-35 Super Flanker
- Su-47 Berkut
- The design for the Belkan Air Force insignia might be inspired by Red Baron's tail emblem as seen on the flyer for Sky Kid.