|Belkan Air Force|
|Country||Belkan Federation/Principality of Belka|
|Members||List of aces in Ace Combat Zero|
|Appearances||Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War|
The Belkan Air Force or B.A.F was the aviation arm of the Belkan Federation's military. First established during the early 20th. It became one of the most powerful forces, being famous in the whole world for creating numerous elite pilots among its ranks.
- "Those who rule the sky will rule the ground."
- ― Franklin Goernitz
In the midst of the Osean War of 1905-1910, the potential of aircraft as weapons of war was perceived by a Belkan minister, Franklin Goernitz. Goernitz' actions laid the foundation of what would become the Belkan Air Force, which soon started to shift aircraft from reconnaissance missions to offensive duties on the battlefield.
Though the war was won by the Oseans, the Belkan army scored an important achievement with the first widespread use of aircraft in offensive warfare, a choice which set a standard for many other nations of their era. Initially, the use of planes was limited to bombing duties; however, this changed with the realization that air superiority had greater importance than ground bombing, which led to the production of aircraft centered on extreme mobility.
Later years and the Belkan WarEdit
In the following decades, the Belkan Air Force grew larger and increasingly advanced in technology, quickly becoming one of the most powerful air forces in existence. In the 1970s and 1980s, the Belkan government used its industrial power to create next-generation superweapons under the "Project Pendragon" initiative, which led to the birth of two new weapons planned to be used by the BAF: the XB-0 Hresvelgr and the ADFX "Morgan" prototype aircraft.
The Belkan Air Force became involved in conflict in 1995 with the outbreak of the Belkan War. In the first days of the war, the BAF effortlessly crushed the Republic of Ustio's resistance, driving back the remaining survivors into the Tyrann Mountains at the south. The combined efforts of Ustio and Osea led to several initial defeats, and eventually their expulsion fron the country after the fall of Directus, the capital. From the liberation of Directus onward, the BAF was repeatedly defeated and driven back by the allied forces, losing more personnel and several elite pilots through the course of the war, until the Belkan Army surrendered after the Northern Belka nuclear detonations of June 6.
By the time the war had officially ended, the BAF was completely ravaged, having lost large numers of pilots and aircraft alike. In the post-war period, a general planned the reconstruction of the Air Force, but his plans were ruined by the cuts in government spending.
Characteristics and structureEdit
The Belkan Air Force was a complex organization, which followed the militaristic and nationalist principles set by the Belkan knights of old. In the modern era, the BAF was centered around two main pillars: education and industrial might, the latter of which was its backbone.
The Air Force highly valued the lives of its soldiers and personnel, understanding the difficulty of replacing skilled pilots, placing emphasis on the single rule of returning from the battlefield alive. The training regime for new pilots is divided into various small classes, and teaches them practical skills to use in warfare to turn them into fearsome fighters. A number of academies are known to exist, one of which is the "Kellerman Institution", which was known for producing numerous elite airmen. Furthermore, connections existed with other air forces from all over the world, which gave pilots the chance of serving abroad.
The Belkan Air Force, like other air forces from across the planet, is divided into divisions, which in turn are split into squadrons. Other divisions also exist, such as the "Aviation Test Corps", which is responsible for testing new aircraft and flight technologies.
- See also: List of aces in Ace Combat Zero
Numerous units have existed in the history of the Belkan Air Force. Squadrons and units are commonly named after German nouns and words, while major units are named after colors.
2nd Air DivisionEdit
3rd Air DivisionEdit
- 13th Tactical Fighter Squadron GrauWespe (Grey Wasp)
- 19th Tactical Fighter Squadron GrauOrca (Grey Orca)
- GrauFalk (Grey Falcon) Squadron
- GrauKater (Grey Cat) Squadron
5th Air DivisionEdit
- 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron "Gelb"
- 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron
6th Air DivisionEdit
7th Air DivisionEdit
- 51st Tactical Fighter Squadron "Indigo"
- 65th Tactical Fighter Squadron
9th Air DivisionEdit
- 17th Tactical Fighter Squadron
10th Air DivisionEdit
12th Air DivisionEdit
- 29th Tactical Fighter Squadron
13th Night Fighter Air DivisionEdit
18th Air DivisionEdit
22nd Air DivisionEdit
51st Air DivisionEdit
- Lynx Squadron: an squadron which engaged the 66th AFU after the June 6 nuclear detonations.
- Vampir Squadron: a fighter squadron destroyed during the siege of Glatisant.
- Gabel Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Postler Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Schakal Squadron: an squadron assigned to defend Futuro Canal during Offensive Campaign No. 4101. Part of the "Winds of Futuro".
- Eisvogel Squadron: defected to the "A World With No Boundaries" group. Destroyed defending the XB-0 Hresvelgr in December 1995.
- Unknown Belkan Separatist Squadron: an unnamed team of Belkans who attempted to stop the Waldreich nuclear attack.
- Bussard Squadron
- Drossel Squadron
- Falke Squadron
- Meteor Squadron
- 229th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Grabacr"
- 5th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Ofnir"
- F-4E Phantom II
- F-5E Tiger II
- F-20A Tigershark
- F-14D Super Tomcat
- F-15C Eagle
- F-15E Strike Eagle
- F-16C Fighting Falcon
- F-2A Viper Zero
- F-1 Kaizen
- F/A-18C Hornet
- EA-18G Growler
- EA-6B Prowler
- F-22A Raptor
- YF-23A Black Widow II
- F-35C Lightning II
- F-117A Nighthawk
- AV-8B Harrier II
- A-10A Thunderbolt II
- Tornado GR.4
- Mirage 2000D
- Rafale M
- J35J Draken
- JAS-39C Gripen
- MiG-21bis Fishbed
- MiG-29A Fulcrum
- MiG-31 Foxhound
- Su-27 Flanker
- Su-32 Strike Flanker
- Su-37 Terminator
- Su-47 Berkut
- ADFX-02 Morgan
- YF-23A Black Widow II
- Tornado ECR
- MiG-1.44 Flatpack
- Su-35 Super Flanker
- Su-47 Berkut
- C-5B Galaxy
- E-767 AWACS