|Full Name|| Belkan Empire (1800s-1915)|
Belkan Federation (1915-1985)
Principality of Belka (1985-2010(?))
|Location||North East of Osea on the Osean Continent|
|Capital||Dinsmark (since 1800s)|
|Head(s) of State||Prince Erich I (1995-2010(?))|
|Government|| Empire (1800s-1915)|
Democratic Federation (1915-1985)
Fascist Principality (1991-1995)
The Principality of Belka is a major country of the Strangereal world.
Officially known as the Principality of Belka, it is one of the most influential countries in military history, greatly affecting the evolution of aircraft as weapons of war.
The modern Belkan state was preceded by a feudal land ruled by knights, who gained a legendary reputation for honor and their involvement in politics. Their influence in the early history of the country became a catalyst for patriotism for many.
Several knightly bloodlines survived into the modern era, as is the case of the Heinrich Family or also as the case of the Ludwig Family.
Belka survived as a nation state into the 20th century. In its early years, it began a major industrialization process marked by a great evolution of technology.
In 1905, war broke out between it and the Osean Federation, lasting for five years. Known as the Osean War, the conflict was marked by the first historical use of aircraft in warfare by Belka, who realized their combat potential. The discovery, combined with the efforts of Minister Franklin Goernitz, led to the formation of the legandary and famous Belkan Air Force, a branch of the Belkan Military.
In 1940, a second war exploded between the two nations, which ended in Belka capturing northern territories from the aforementioned Osean Federation.
The industrial evolution of the country continued into the second half of the century and in the seventies, Belka embarked on an expansionist venture fueled by nationalism, which caused them to wage wars of annexation against the eastern Osean countries.
One such war was the 1973 conflict with Recta, which ended with the defeat of their army and Liberation Front.
Begining of the chaosEdit
The expansionist policy of Belka had the unforeseen consequence of causing economic instability in the early 1980s, bringing the era of imperialism to an end. Over the years, these troubles grew beyond control, throwing the country into turmoil. The ruling government refused to acknowledge the situation and increased the military spending budget in 1987, plunging Belka into an economic depression.
In 1988, the ruling powers decided to amend a review of the Belkan federal law, allowing portions of Nord and South Belka to break away as independent nations.
The review, which occurred in December 17, gave birth to Fato and the Republic of Ustio and however, the crisis persisted into the 1990s. In a desperate attempt to prevent the economy from collapsing, the government offered to sell portions of territory to Osea in August 1991 in exchange for mining rights, a plan that was ruined by riots against the National Assembly and a corruption scandal involving Five Great Lakes Development Corporation run jointly by both countries.
The chaos in Belka eventually led to national elections being held at the end of the year. The party with the most seats was the Democratic Liberal Party, an extreme right-wing group, which ousted the National Assembly and assumed control of Belka in December 12 of 1991.
Under the new administration, the country maintained uneasy relations with Ustio, sending the Belkan Air Force to repeatedly engage Ustio Air Force aircraft in 1994.
In March 25 of 1995, the right-wing government discovered an abundant supply of materials at a region in the Ustio-Belka border. Designated "Area B7R", the Belkan leaders believed the region to be the ultimate solution to their economic troubles, and thus ordered a military invasion of Ustio and all neighboring countries to secure them, and restore their former glory, giving birth to the infamous Belkan War.
The first days of combat were spearheaded by the Belkan Air Force, which decimated virtually all opposition in Ustio and the eastern countries of Fato and Gebet. In particular, Ustio's own air force suffered so much damage that their military commanders hired mercenaries from across the continent to back up their formal forces.
After the country's surviving troops thwarted a Belkan bombing attack on Valais Air Base in early April, it united forces with the Osean Federation to form the Allied Forces, a coalition of countries formed to fight the Belkan militry forces.
Decline for BelkaEdit
The allied forces regained their lost momentum and fought their way into the heart of the Belkan land, penetrating their main lines of defense in less than three days and their advance was accentuated by the loss of the anti-missile laser Excalibur, which was hastily deployed to stop them.
Facing a disastrous situation, the Belkan commanders decided to detonate nuclear weapons in their own territory to halt the allied advance. Wolfgang Buchner, a major BAF ace pilot, was ordered to drop one such weapon on a Belkan city, but refused and defected to Osea.
The final days of the war were marked by Allied attacks on Belkan weapon factories, one of which was the bombing of Hoffnung. In June 6th, the war violently came to an end when the supreme command of all the Belkan Military decided detonate seven V1 Type nuclear weapons in the Waldreich Mountains to stop the allied advance, killing over 12,000 people.
Aftermath and 21st centuryEdit
In the days following the Waldreich disaster, Osea and other nations met to decide the fate of the country and their compensation as victors. The defeated Belka lost a great portion of the territories conquered by them during the war and the entire military was dissolved until the start of the 21st century. The country abandoned its position as a Federation and transformed into the "Principality of Belka". As well, one of Belka's main weapons manufacturers, the South Belka Munitions Factory, became North Osea Gründer Industries.
The newly reborn Belka existed continued its existence into the next millenium. However, the effects of the Belkan War were still felt across the world, including within Belka itself. The 2010 Circum-Pacific War brought the country once more into global attention, as Gründer and the "Grey Men" secretly triggered a war between Osea and Yuktobania in retaliation for "the war 15 years ago".
- Belka is in many ways an allusion to Nazi Germany as it follows the same pattern as being taken over by a fascist government following national crisis (in Germany's case, hyperinflation after World War I; in Belka's case, collapse of economy due to a lack of natural resources caused by regions such as Ustio seceding to other countries).
- The division of North & South Belka after the Belkan War is also similar to division of West & East Germany after World War II, and the division of North and South Korea after the Korean War. One of the most contributing factors about this coincidence is that in the ending credits of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, a broken wall is visible with freedom slogans in graffiti on it. This is probably an allegory to the Berlin Wall.
- The Belkan War can also be seen as a parallel to the Gulf War. Kuwait and Ustio were both nations with resources wanted by the aggressor nation. The operation at the Futuro Canal resembles the US Fleet moving through the Suez Canal during the opening stages of the Gulf War. Both wars also use many of the same aircraft. However the war bears a greater similarity to World War II, as both are multi-front wars started by a nation under economic strife and both eventually drew in each world's respective superpowers (US/USSR, Osea/Yuktobania).
- There are many references to the legend of King Arthur, most noticeable being the elite fighter squadrons called 'Knights of the Round Table', the Belkan super weapon 'Excalibur', the final mission of Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War takes place at Avalon Dam and ace pilots Joshua "Lucan" Bristow and Anthony "Bedivere" Palmer.
- The wingman of The Demon Lord was called 'Solo Wing Pixy'. In the last air battle, he flies an monstrous aircraft with devastating weaponry, the 'ADFX-01/02 Morgan', against The Demon Lord. This is also a reference to Morgan le Fay from the legends of King Arthur, which was a powerful enchantress and one major antagonist to King Arthur. She is also the supporter, betrayer and one of the four enchantresses who take Arthur to Avalon, after the final battle at Camlann.
- Belka's nuclear weapons (the V1 Tactical Nuclear Weapon and V2 MIRV Nuclear missile) share their name with the German V weapons, which stands for Vergeltungswaffe (literally "Vengeance weapon"), which by coincidence is also what the Belkan V weapons are for. In fact, if the Nazis had enough time, they would've mounted a nuclear warhead to their V2 ballistic missiles, but the war ended years before the technology would be available to them at the rate they were losing ground at.
- There were many words in Belka and Belkan that can be found either in German, archaic German or Russian like, also from mythology:
- "Belka" means Squirrel in Russian. It is also the name of one of the first two dogs to return safely from a space flight.
- "Sudentor" is German for "southern gate." (correctly "Südliches Tor" or "Südtor")
- "Gründer" is German for "Founder".
- "Hoffnung" is German for "Hope"; its destruction possibly means the end of hope.
- "Schirm" is German for "Screen" or "Umbrella".
- "Mund" is German for "Mouth".
- "Anfang" is German for "Beginning", The fact that the last official battle of the war is fought there could mean "the beginning of the end."
- "Rot" is German for Red.
- "Grun" is German for Green. (correctly "Grün")
- "Indigo" is German for Indigo.
- "Gelb" is German for Yellow.
- "Schnee" is German for Snow.
- "Silber" is German for Silver.
- "Gault" is German for Gold. (correctly written "Gold" in German, it is pronounced very similar to "Gault"). Also Gault is a clay formation of stiff blue clay deposited in a calm, fairly deep water marine environment during the Lower Cretaceous Period (Upper and Middle Albian).
- "Tauberg" is German and translates roughly as "Dew Hill" or "Rope Hill".
- "Waldriech" is German and translates roughly as "Forest Smell". (probably meant to be "Waldreich", which translates as "Forest Empire")
- "Regen" is German for Rain.
- "Amsel" is German for Blackbird.
- "Gebet" is German for Prayer.
- "Vulkan" is German for Volcano.
- "Adler" is German for Eagle.
- "Eisvogel" is German for Ice Bird.
- "Gabel" is German for Fork.
- "Grani". In Norse mythology, Grani is a horse owned by the hero Sigurd. He is the horse that Sigurd receives through advice from an old man (Odin). Grani is a descendant of Odin's own steed, Sleipnir.
- "Schanze" is German for lair.
- "Beo" (Beowa, Beaw, Beow, or Bedwig) is a figure in Anglo-Saxon paganism associated with barley and agriculture.
- The saturation bombing of Hoffnung in mission 11 of Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War may be an allegory to the firebombing of Dresden in World War II.
- Mund Valley, the valley where Avalon Dam was built, could be a reference to Peenemunde, a real life V2 facility.
- Belka's history of being several separate states during the Middle Ages and being Ruled by Knights may be a Reference to Feudal Japan and Middle Ages Germany as both were under similar scenarios during the Middle Ages.
- Belka's loss of its Air Force after the Belkan War mirrors the Morgenthau Plan, a plan elaborated by US secretary Henry Morgenthau Junior whose objective was to strip Germany of its warfare waging capabilities; however, the Belkan Federation only lost its air force.
- The Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise also features a nation called Belka, which may have been inspired by Belka in AC, seeing how both are militaristic, German-speaking superpowers with advanced technology and a tradition of knightly values. This is just one of the shout-outs to Ace Combat in the Nanoha series.
- Belka's national flag and Air Force roundel is very similar to that of Estonia.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
- Project Aces: Ace Combat Zero website
- Project Aces: Ace Combat 5 website
- ACES at WAR: A History