|Full name||Belkan Empire (1800s-1915)
Belkan Federation (1915-1985)
Principality of Belka (1985-2010(?))
|Location||North East of Osea on the Osean Continent|
|Capital||Dinsmark (since 1800s)|
|Head of State||Prince Erich I (1995-2010(?))|
Democratic Federation (1915-1985)
Fascist Principality (1991-1995)
Birth Of A Nation (1600s - 1915) Edit
During the Dark Ages, Belka was divided into many small states. The largest of these were North Belka and South Belka. The majority of North Belka was ruled by the Belkan Knights. These legendary warriors operated out of Steir Castle (the same one referred to in A Blue Dove for the Princess/The Legend of Razgriz) and defended the country from invaders. By the end of the Dark Ages, Belka was still divided into many small states. However, by the 1700s, all of modern-day Belka unified into the Principality of North Belka, and its capital was moved from Steir Castle to the nearby city of Sudentor. This boosted Sudentor from a small mountain trading village to a major economic center, rivaling cities as large as Oured. Over the next hundred years, Belka would expand its empire, seizing the nation of South Belka. Finally, in the early 1800s, the two Belkas joined together to unite all Belkan states into the Belkan Empire, from the Confederacy of Crescence (modern-day Crescence Island) to the Republic of Ustio. The capital was moved for the final time to Dinsmark in the north.
In the late 1800s, Belka tried to expand its borders by moving into the Osean land around the Great Lakes. The border dispute lasted many years until Osean and Belkan delegates met in the Osean city of Wesson. In the Wesson Compromise, Belka gained control of the Great Lakes in exchange for most of the islands north of Belka (except Crescence Island). The border remained at the Great Lakes for roughly a hundred years.
In 1907, Belka became the first nation to incorporate airplanes into their military. Belka, hungry for more land, invaded Osean land in 1910, beginning the Osean War. Osea emerged victorious and the two nations signed the Treaty of Oured in 1915, which gave the Great Lakes back to Osea. After Belka signed the treaty, its people were upset with the old imperialist policies. Belka did away with its old monarchy, and adopted a democratic government, turning the Principality of Belka into the Belkan Federation. The result turned Belka into a stable, modernized country. Also, the aces of the Belkan Army Air Corps (precursor to the Belkan Air Force) had performed so well during the war, that they usurped the title of "Belkan Knights," which until that point had belonged exclusively to the Belkan Army.
Expansionism (1940s - 1987) Edit
In the late 1940s, the Belkan Government then saw it fit that the country expand its borders to include the lands around it. This expansionism was sparked by the purchase of the majority of the Great Lakes region from Osea. However, the eastern countries which owned these lands did not support this idea and would not allow the Belkan Federation to simply take these lands from them, so the Belkan government decided that it would take these lands by force. By the 1960s, Belka believed it had built up its military sufficient enough and began to move its forces into the neighboring countries of Sapin, Ratio, Gebet, and Recta.
The Belkan Federation split its attacks on the neighboring countries into two "Battle Lines": the Eastern (modern-day Gebet, Ratio, and Recta) and Southern (Sapin) Battle Lines. The fiercest actions took place on the Eastern Line.
As the annexation battles took place, the Belkan Air Force had quickly established itself as a formidable force, just by itself. In some cases, a few pilots had become Aces and had made their name known in their own country and across the continent. On the Southern Battle Line, the Wing Leader of the 126th Tactical Fighter Squadron"Silber Squadron", Dietrich Kellerman and his unit had been recognized as a vital part of that Line and it’s ability to hold.
Soon, the last opposing nation, Recta, was under attack by Belkan Forces. Rectan Air Force, while smaller but more experienced, was effectively defending itself from the initial attacks and maintained its air superiority. The 126th TFS Silber was deployed there from the Southern Battle Line and soon the tide of war changes. Most notably at the Battle of Mt. Mainz, in which they claimed air superiority and allowed Belkan Ground Forces to take the city of Calle, wiping out the last stronghold of the Rectan Liberation Front.
The last action of the Belkan Annexations ended with the 126th TFS Silber engaging unknown Fighters over Crescence Island. After they are shot down, all actions against the Belkans begin to cease. This took place in 1985.
Just two years later, the Belkan Democratic Party came under heavy opposition, due to the fact that the Belkan economy was declining rapidly and soon the government was forced into a process which would re-evaluate their effectiveness to run the country. The Belkan Federal Law Review was held in 1987. In the end, a new Federal Government was established and new laws were set in place.
The Federal Era (1987- 1994) Edit
Two territories had broken away from the Belkan Federation, not agreeing with the new system. In 1987, a state in northeastern Belka was the first territory to split from Belka and become a separate nation. The new nation declared itself the Fato Federation. Also, in 1988, the Republic of Ustio, reformed after roughly a hundred years under Belkan rule, also breaks away.
The Belkan Government could do little to stop them from breaking away, since their economy continued to fall. Eventually, in 1991, they had sold their remaining lands back to the Eastern Nations, then all Belkan Military forces returned to Belka. These lands were distributed among Sapin, Ustio, and the FATO Nations and resulted in the expansion of Sapin and Ustio and the formation of Gebet and Recta.
However, nothing seemed to help the Belkan Federation come out of their economic bind and the country entered a state of unrest. During this time the public cried out for order to be restored. Amidst the chaos an extreme Right Wing Party takes power in Belka. They had learned of Osea’s lies and their plan to take the rich lands around the Great Lakes, and also had intentions of reclaiming the two territories which had broken off.
In 1987, Belka had receded its Northern and Southern lands of the Great Lakes to Osea, in hopes of revitalizing its economy, since a Joint Research Group announced that there was a large amount of resources there. Osea had promised to repay them a high percentage of the materials there. However, there weren't as many resources as they had claimed there were.
They had attempted to retake their land from Osea after finding out that reports of theirs, reading that they were not rich in minerals, were false and made up by Osean officials.
The Belkan Military began to re-amass itself under the orders of this new regime and conflict on the continent became imminent.
The Belkan War - (April 2, 1995 - December 31, 1995) Edit
With the economy failing and the country a step away from civil war, the new Belkan government was becoming increasingly desperate. News had reached their ears that massive deposites of raw materials had been discovered in the lands to the south, The ferocity of the sudden, massive assault took the unsuspecting forces of the Osean Federation, the Kingdom of Sapin and the Republic of Ustio completely by surprise, with the southern states losing air superiority within the first few days of hostilities. Outnumbering the opposing forces six to one, the Belkan military advanced quickly and ruthlessly on all fronts, seizing huge swaths of land and crushing all resistance in their path. But that was only the start of it.Due to freshly unearthed deposites of raw materials in the Republic of Ustio, most of Belka's southern armies were concentrated into taking over the country and seizing the invaluable assets. Due to their huge numerical superiority and the employment of blitzkrieg tactics, Belkan forces overran the majority of Ustio within the first week of the war. They then tried to stamp out all remaining resistance by launching a massive assault on the devastated remains of the Ustian forces that were squeezed into the mountains to the east and south, but were ultimately unsuccessful.
On April 2, the Belkan advance had reached its zenith on all fronts. But with their supply lines stretched thin by the offensive, the Belkan drive ground to a halt, after which time things began to go badly for the aggressors. This gave the Allies a brief but much-needed break to catch their breath and regroup. In early April, the now unified allied forces of Osea, Sapin, Ustio, and Yuktobania conducted Operation Roselein, which connected the Allied nations of Ustio and Osea through the Sapin city of Arlon, then occupied of the Belkans. This was in preparation for the Allied counteroffensive against Belka.
After diverting the Belkan Air Force's attention to the Round Table on the 20th with a diversionary recon mission, The Osean 3rd Naval Fleet, with its new capital ship, the OFS Kestrel moved through the Belkan-occupied Futuro Canal into the bay of Lumen, opening up an air corridor into South Belka. This was the beginning of Offensive Campaign No. 4101, and by early May, all Osean and Sapin lands had been liberated. All that remained was Ustio.
On May 12, the Osean 122nd Airborne launched Operation Varsity, in which the 71st Paratroop Division dropped into and took hold of the town of Solis Ortus, to gain access to the Ustian capital of Directus. Although the Belkans put up a fight, they were unable to hold Solis Ortus and were forced to fall back to Directus. The following day, with the Osean Army from the south, the Ustian Army from the north and a civilian resistance movement within the city limits, the Allies were able to take Directus. This proved to be disastrous to the Belkans, for the HQ of the Ustio-branch Belkan army was in Directus, as well as most of the occupying army. With the loss of Ustio, the Belkan Army fell back to the Hydrian Line, Belka's first line of defense. The Belkan Army had lost their control on Ustio, giving a victory to the allied forces.
At this point, there was a dramatic shift in the war. Belka had ben forced ontothe defensive, as the Allies prepared to invade Belka. The story is told differently from each standpoint.
On May 17, the Allies launched Operation Hellbound, an attack on the centerpiece of the Hydrian Line, Glatisant. The allies suspected that Glatisant was not just a fortress, but a nuclear weapons production facility. The mission was pegged as a nuclear inspection, which some of the Ustian mercenary pilots found laughable. Despite the heavy AA defense network at Glatisant, the mercenary forces were able to neutralize the defense capabilities of Glatisant.
With its main fortress all but defenseless and onthe verge of being overrun, the Belkan military abandoned the Hydrian Line, pulling back to their second line of defense in the Schayne Plains. Although this was well into South Belkan territory, the plains lacked defensive cover. The Allies thought to capitalize on this weakness, and on May 19, they launched an air raid on the defensive positions in the plains. After the objective was completed, however, the Belkans deployed Excalibur against them. Most of the attacking force was destroyed by the laser before they could escape, but a few pilots made it through, including the mercenary Galm team.
Excalibur soon became the Allies priority target, as the withering fire power of the laser tower kept their forces from advancing. Causality figures were placed high, as this was Belka's pillar of defense. On May 23, Ustian mercenaries attacked Tauberg, the place where Excalibur was built, deep in North Belkan territory. Although four jammers were present, and the defenses around Excalibur were fierce, the Ustians were able to destroy the weapon. With Excalibur out of the way, the Allies continued to advance northward.
Then, on May 28, Osea announced its permanent abrogation of the nonaggression treaty in front of the Assembly of Nations, and commenced Operation Battle-Axe, an immense air sortie into the Airspace B7R, aka "the Round Table," which was still tight in the grasp of the Belkan Air Force. Although at first the battle seemed to go in the Belkans favor, destroying 40% of the Allied forces, the balance swung into the Allies court when the Demon Lord, as his new moniker was, entered the fray, and routed the Belkans, even defeating an ace Belkan squadron.
Around the same time, South Belka was beginning to become weary of the war. Disillusioned of the patriotism and nationalism that lead them into the war, as well as having their land be torn up defense line after defense line for the land in the north, South Belkan cities began to surrender and disarm peacefully. Unable to set defense positions, the Belkan Army retreated to the north to the Waldreich Mountains and the border between the Belkas. The end of the war was drawing near.
The Allied air forces then started to make the destruction of Belkan war productions their main priority. On June 1, the Allies launched a heavy bombing raid on the industrial center of Hoffnung. The bombing run wasn't a surgical strike, but a saturation bombing, where the bombers released ton after ton of unguided bombs on Hoffnung. In turn, the Belkans began to sabotage the facilities, to let nothing fall into the allies hands. The mission was a success, but with a terrible cost to civilian life.
With the fall of Hoffnung, Sudentor was the last major South Belkan city still under North Belkan control. Resistance there was fierce, due to weapons from the South Belkan munitions plant that was in the city. To put down the resistance, the Allies called upon the Ustian mercenaries to meet up with the Allied ground forces south of the city. On the way there, they flew over Stier, when a large bomber formation appeared to the north. Supposedly, it was carrying a nuclear bomb destined for Ustio. Through valiant fighting against improbable odds, the mercenaries were able to destroy the entire formation, which, curiously, was being attacked by South Belkan fighters as well. Although they had stopped the bombers, several smaller jet fighters made it through, and dropped their payload.Seven nuclear bombs were dropped on the Waldriechs, killing over 12,000 people. The electromagnetic energy discharged from the nukes made communication difficult for several days, but that did not keep the world from knowing
what had happened. Everyone was stunned by the Belkan's grand act of self-sacrifice. They had lost the will to fight anymore, after watching the tragedy unfold before their eyes. The allies quickly agreed with the Belkan high command for a ceasefire. For the most part, the war was over.
Some Belkan officers, however, refused the ceasefire order, and began to regroup at the Yering Mine at Mt. Schirm in North Belka. Ustian mercenaries were sent to quell the resistance, but found it to be larger than anticipated. Nevertheless, the mission was successful.
On June 20, the official peace accords of the Belkan war were held in Lumen, South Belka. At same time, Unfortunately, another group of Belkan insurgents appeared on the Belkan coast near Anfang, decrying the peace accords. Due to the circumstances, the Allies secretly sent in mercenary forces to take care of the insurrection. Although, as, one of the pilots pointed out, there was too much resistance to be simply an insurrection, the mission was successful. The peace talks were held without incident.
The treaty signed at Lumen was one that heavily favored the Allied nations. Belka lost all it's southern territories, leaving only North Belka, which was renamed the Principality of Belka. It's military was heavily restricted as well, to ensure that Belka would never again be a threat. The diplomats then proceeded to squabble over the same resources that had ignited the war in the first place. Nevertheless, the world seemed to be at peace, with the Belkan war behind them.
Then, on Christmas Day, 1995, "A World With No Boundaries" revealed itself, by first attacking Lumen, the signing place of the peace accords, and Valais Airbase with the XB-0 Hresvelgr, Belka's experimental bomber.
Although the bomber and its escorts were destroyed, it was discovered that AWWNB had control over Avalon Dam, a secret V2 test launch facility. A strike force was quickly assembled, and made its way to Avalon. Although the strike team suffered severe casualties, Galm team made it through, and was able to destroy the V2 controls, disabling the missiles before disappearing into history.
But some technicians who worked on the V2 did not join AWWNB, as they were fervent Belkan Nationalists. They would only repeat later in history. "A World With No Boundaries" had managed to keep any information about them extremely secretive, so information about them is somewhat scarce.
Post-Belkan War - (1996- 2009) Edit
After the Belkan War, a new government was being put into place with help from the many of the Allied Nations. The Belkan Federation dismantled and all but the north territory remained. The new government was made a monarchy as it had been almost 80 years ago. In a show of good will by Osea, a new Fighter Squadron comprised of Belkan Aces from the War was established in the Osean Air Defense Force.
However, after 1995, Belka's activities outside its borders had almost ceased, as they were focusing on re-stabilizing their nation. A period of international isolation had begun. The only technical Belkan activity was by Gründer Industries, which was an arms and weapons manufacture in South Belka, now known as North Osea.
A few members of the Belkan Air Force were thought to have made a terrorist group known as "The Falcons of Dawn". Belkan Ace Oswald "Regen" Baermann created the group. It is believed that Elmar "Amsel" Hahn is also a member of this group, but there was no official statement. "The Falcons of Dawn" had established themselves on the Osean Continent and are still somewhat active, even into the new Millennium.
The Circum-Pacific War - (2010) Edit
In 2010, neighboring Osea was being probed by unknown aircraft from an unknown country. Days later, a former Ally during the Belkan War, Yuktobania declared war on Osea. In the initial days of fighting, Yuktobania had attacked the Osean fleets and launched amphibious assaults, but those were repelled by Osean Military forces and soon, Osea had preformed an amphibious assault on Yuktobanian soil and established a foot-hold.
Little did each country know, the war between them was engineered by extremists from Belka, still angered by the loss of the Belkan War from 15 years ago. These extremists were believed to be the "Grey Men". They had been planning to use operatives within the Osean and Yuktobanian militaries. They had two squadrons at their disposal in each military. The Yuktobanian 'Ofnir' Squadron lead by Michael Heimeroth and the Osean 8492nd Squadron, actually known as the Grabacr Squadron, lead by Ashley Bernitz, each were Belkan Aces from the war 15 years ago. The 'Grey Men' wanted revenge on their loss during the Belkan War. The two countries never knew about the Grey Men during the final days of the war.
The 'Grey Men' had planned on keeping the war between the two countries active so they would eventually lose economic power. They did this by capturing the Osean and Yuktobanian head leaders. Also, they were beginning to rebuild their military by using funds from a South Belkan Company in Sudentor, known as Gründer Industries; which sold weaponry and aircraft to each nation.
During the Osean operations in Yuktobania, the 8492nd Squadron was operating covertly. In one case during the Osean advancement into Yuktobania they had attacked a Yuktobanian college facility, during an Osean campaign to reassure civilian safety. This move by them had taken a vital Osean squadron, known as the Wardog Squadron, out of the war temporarily. The Wardog Squadron were a pivotal Osean Squadron in the war, which were responsible for the success of many large operations. Unfortunately for them, the Wardog Squadron returned to the front lines.
During that time an unknown group of assailants had managed to board the Osean super weapon, the Arkbird, in space and sabotaged it, thus knocking it out of action and balancing the power between each side.
The Belkan operatives then managed to help Yuktobanian aircraft penetrate Osean air space and attempted to kill the Osean Vice President, during a speech in November City. The 8492nd, also there, had another chance to attack the Wardog. After an aircraft crashed on landing at McNealy Air Force Base, the 8492nd managed to fool incoming Osean aircraft into thinking the raid was just a drill, delaying the reinforcements. Because of this, one of the members of the Wardog squadron, Alvin H. Davenport, callsign "Chopper", was killed in action.
Days later in Yuktobania, the 8492nd and multiple aircraft, believed to be Belkan aircraft, ambushed the Wardog during their flight back to Sand Island. The Wardog managed to escape with the help of "Pops".
However, a former 8492nd pilot, Allen C. Hamilton, then an adviser at Sand Island Air Base, indicated the Wardog to be spies. When the landed military police attempted to capture them, they escaped in trainer aircraft. All Osean Aircraft were ordered to shoot them down on sight. The 8492nd Squadron, in the area, pursued them, but lost them and disengaged. The Wardog were later shot down by an Aircraft from the Osean Maritime Defense Force.
With the Wardog not tipping the balance of the war, the 'Grey Men' continued their efforts. However, soon the Wardog had resurfaced as "The Ghosts of Razgriz" and rescued the Osean President from Stier Castle in Belka. The Razgriz then were sighted operating over Belka, near a mine shaft where the Belkan Nuclear Weapons from the Belkan War, were located, also there they found aircraft from the Grabacr and Ofnir Squadrons. The next day the mine was destroyed, but two nuclear devices were taken out of the country. The first was stolen, days later by Yuktobanian resistance fighters, in a canyon. The ‘Razgriz’ had appeared in the canyon air space and destroyed all Yuktobanian military forces searching for them. However, the Ofnir Squadron had also entered the canyon in pursuit of them. After a high speed air-to-air battle, the Ofnir were shot down, but ejected. They would return again.
The next nuclear weapon was found on board the Arkbird, which was secretly repaired and modified by Belkan units, during the midst of the war. It was attacked by the Razgriz as well. Unfortunately for the ‘Grey Men’ the Arkbird was too shot down and the nuclear weapon was lost over the Ceres Ocean. Soon after that, the Yuktobanian Prime Minister was rescued by the Razgriz in Yuktobania. The 229th Tactical Fighter Squadron did engage them, but also were shot down. They too had ejected.
After losing the two weapons, their last card, the re-vamped V-2 Mass Retaliation Weapon Project was the only weapon that the Belkans had left. The V-2 was stored in the Gründer Industries’ underground test facility in Sudentor. However, the Osean President and Yuktobanian Prime Minister had made their way back into Osea and announced the Grey Men’s plans to use the V-2 on one of their countries. A combined Osean-Yuktobanian force, with the Razgriz, had then attacked the Gründer Facility. The Belkan Operatives there then said that they would hand over the V1 Tactical Nuclear Weapon, the less powerful weapon, if the war mongers in the area would protect their facility. Soon, each force were engaged in combat over Sudentor.
In a rush effort, the Belkan forces managed to make the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun, a sub-orbital cannon made during the Belkan War, but never completed, operational. It then began to attack the advancing ground forces, heading towards Gründer Industries. The combined forces working against the Belkans managed to open the base’s main blast doors and the Razgriz had flown into the maintenance tunnel while being chased by Allen C. Hamilton, the Sand Island Base Advisor. The Razgriz managed to destroy the V-2’s first Power Generator, while an Osean pilot named Jack Bartlett flew in from the other side and destroyed the secondary generator. During their escape, the Razgriz were engaged by multiple aircraft, but managed to successfully escape the tunnel.
Allen C. Hamilton was killed by one of these aircraft which had come in front of them. The V-2 and the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun control facilities were destroyed and the Belkan operatives, seeing their defeat they had pre-programmed the SOLG to fall onto the Osean capital of Oured, if contact was lost with Gründer Industries. As the SOLG fell into the atmosphere, the Razgriz had launched from Oured in an attempt to destroy the satellite. They were intercepted by a combined Belkan fighter unit of Ofnir and Grabacr. As the SOLG continued to fall, the Ofnir and Grabacr continued their fight against the Razgriz Air Command Squadron, but were ultimately shot down and killed. Later, the SOLG was also destroyed by the Razgriz and all Belkan activities had ceased once again. The Grey Men had managed to slip away unharmed, as they did once before.
Uncertain Future (2011 - Present Day) Edit
Belka remained a neutral country after the Circum-Pacific War, but they've had no confirmed actions since then. It was eventually taken over by corporations during rise of General Resource LTD and Neucom Incorporated. Their government is weak, unabated, and shamed; the people of Belka are also a sad nation, because all their pride and blood had been ripped out of them. After all this, the Belkans were left alone by the great powers of the world, considered finally 'a sleepless malice, that has finally found its rest'. Radical parties, institutions, and influential groups were banished to exile, for fear that a repeat of history's mistakes could further harm the country. It became the most silent nation of humbleness, yet an almost depressing attitude. No confirmed actions have been reported since the 2010 war ended. In short, the glory days have closed down forever for the Belkan people, where they are now only shadows of their former glories, never to rise again.
Little is known about Belka's climate. However, judging by its position below the arctic, it could be surmised that north Belka appears to have very cold winters and cool summers. A mountain range running across the center of the country may provide some protection for the south.
Belka's most noticeable weather conditions consist of heavy snowfall. As a result of the nuclear strike carried out near the end of the Belkan War, most of Belka's central mountain range is too dangerous to inhabit due to radioactive fallout. This seems to have had an effect on the weather patterns of the rest of North Belka, turning most of it into an Arctic wasteland, throwing North Belka into anarchy. Effects of the blasts also spread as far south as the former Belkan city of Sudentor which only escaped the blast due to the mountains as evidenced by the ground zero crater north of the city.
However, North Belka was not always as desolate as it is today. A vacation town on the North Belkan coast a few dozen miles west of Dinsmark used to attract travelers from all over the world before the Belkan war with a warm, serene environment.
- Anfang - A stretch of coastline several dozen miles west of the North Belkan capital of Dinsmark, this used to be a vacationing hotspot before the Belkan war. The vibrant ecosystem and beautiful coastline attracted both young and old, but all that changed during the Belkan war. It is the site of the last battle of the war, which occurred right as the peace treaty was being signed.
- Area B7R - the main battle zone at the border between Belka and Ustio, named "The Round Table" by the aces who fly in the area. The topography makes the location look like a giant circle with a 400 km radius, hence its name. It is supposedly the attack corridor used by Belka to invade not just Ustio, but also its surrounding nations, making it an extremely important strategic location, charged to many Belkan aces to defend. Apparently, it also holds a large natural resource reserves that Belka desperately needs to fund its war effort. Aces who distinguish themselves in this area are known as "Knights of the Round Table".
- Avalon Dam/Mund Valley - A dam in the Belkan heartland built amid controversy because of its ambiguous purpose; after it was completed, however, the Belkans came to embrace the dam, calling it the pride of Belka as an engineering feat. Following the Belkan war, Belkan engineers who defected to the radical terrorist group "A World With No Boundaries" completed the V2 MIRV missile and planned to launch it from Avalon, but the Galm Team destroyed the missiles before they could fulfill their deadly purpose.However Solo Wing Pixy re-activated it and lauched it,luckuly he was shot down by Cipher, callsign: Galm 1, but survived.
- Dinsmark - The capital of the Belka Federation and the state of North Belka, home to the University of Dinsmark.
- Glatisant - An ancient Belkan fortress built on the top of Mt. Ivrea. The Belkan army converted it into a modern base, the centerpiece of the Hydrian line, a defense line that stretched from the Sapin border to the Osean border, as well as a suspected nuclear production facility. It was destroyed by the Allied forces, but not before a mysterious attack took out several Ustian squadrons.
- Hoffnung - A major industrial center for Belka known as the "Sleepless Town" for its non-stop industrial productions. The city was razed to the ground by the retreating Belkan forces as part of their newly instated scorched earth policy, attempting to keep Belkan technology out of the Allies' hands.
- Lumen - A border city in South Belka, Lumen was the site of the peace resolution talks after the Belkan War. It was attacked by the XB-0 Hresvelgr several months later.
- Mt. Schirm - A mine in North Belka from the Belkan Federation's more prosperous era. Probably abandoned during the 80's when the vein went dry, possibly affecting the already chaotic Belkan economy. An operation occurred over the area during the Circum-Pacific War, when a significant force was used to defend the mine as nuclear weapons were being stored. The V1 Tactical Nuclear Weapon were to be sold for the Yuktobanians and Oseans fighting each other. This ended when the Razgriz Air Command Squadron destroyed the entrance, sealing it for perpetuity, presumably.
- Schayne Plains - Belka's second line of defense, the Schayne Plains are an open expanse of fields, bisected by a branching river. In the middle of the war, the Allies neutralized the defense capabilities of the defense line, but suffered massive casualties when the Belkans used the chemical laser Excalibur to attack the allied aircraft.
- Stier Castle - An ancient castle in the Stier region, overlooks one of the seven nuclear blast craters left from the Belkan War. The battle against the Hresvelgr also occurred here. President Vincent Harling of Osea was kept in captivity here during the Circum-Pacific War of 2010.
- Sudentor - The capital of South Belka, later ceded to Osea and becoming part of North Osea. It is one of the sites of the final battles of the Belkan War as well as the final ground battle in The Circum-Pacific War, between the once-again allied Osean-Yuktobanian forces and the North Osean Gründer Industries working for Belka and a few divisions from Osea and Yuktobania, sent by the warmongers still in power in those countries to defend the Tunnel entrance, so they could gain the V1 Tactical Nuclear Weapon nuke the Belkans promised them.
- Tauberg - a forested area in the heart of Belka. It originally was a Belkan National Preserve, and had over 60 species of mammals and over 200 species of birds. During Belka's military expansion period, however, the land was bought by the Belkan Army as the site that would become the territory of their super laser, Excalibur. Rather than destroying the wildlife's habitat, though, the secretive nature of the Excalibur program actually prevented outside influences from affecting the wildlife. The wildlife had adapted to living alongside the technology of Belka.The weapon Excalibur was finally destroyed by the Galm Team(Cipher)
- Belka is in many ways an allusion to Nazi Germany as it follows the same pattern as being taken over by a fascist government following national crisis (in Germany's case, hyperinflation after World War I; in Belka's case, collapse of economy due to a lack of natural resources caused by regions such as Ustio seceding to other countries).
- The division of North & South Belka after the Belkan War is also similar to division of West & East Germany after World War II, and the division of North and South Korea after the Korean War. One of the most contributing factors about this coincidence is that in the ending credits of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, a broken wall is visible with freedom slogans in graffiti on it. This is probably an allegory to the Berlin Wall.
- The Belkan War can also be seen as a parallel to the Gulf War. Kuwait and Ustio were both nations with resources wanted by the aggressor nation. The operation at the Futuro Canal resembles the US Fleet moving through the Suez Canal during the opening stages of the Gulf War. Both wars also use many of the same aircraft. However the war bears a greater similarity to World War II, as both are multi-front wars started by a nation under economic strife and both eventually drew in each world's respective superpowers (US/USSR, Osea/Yuktobania).
- There are many references to the legend of King Arthur, most noticeable being the elite fighter squadrons called 'Knights of the Round Table', the Belkan super weapon 'Excalibur', the final mission of Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War takes place at Avalon Dam and ace pilots Joshua "Lucan" Bristow and Anthony "Bedivere" Palmer.
- The wingman of The Demon Lord was called 'Solo Wing Pixy'. In the last air battle, he flies an monstrous aircraft with devastating weaponry, the 'ADFX-01/02 Morgan', against The Demon Lord. This is also a reference to Morgan le Fay from the legends of King Arthur, which was a powerful enchantress and one major antagonist to King Arthur. She is also the supporter, betrayer and one of the four enchantresses who take Arthur to Avalon, after the final battle at Camlann.
- Belka's nuclear weapons (the V1 Tactical Nuclear Weapon and V2 MIRV Nuclear missile) share their name with the German V weapons, which stands for Vergeltungswaffe (Literally "Vengeance weapon"), which by coincidence is also what the Belkan V weapons are for. In fact, if the Nazis had enough time, they would've mounted a nuclear warhead to their V2 ballistic missiles, but the war ended years before the technology would be available to them at the rate they were losing ground at.
- There were many words in Belka and Belkan that can be found either in German, archaic German or Russian like, also from mythology:
- "Belka" means Squirrel in Russian. It is also the name of one of the first two dogs to return safely from a space flight.
- "Sudentor" is German for "southern gate." (correctly "Südliches Tor" or "Südtor")
- "Gründer" is German for "Founder".
- "Hoffnung" is German for "Hope", the destruction of it possibly means the end of hope.
- "Schirm" is German for "Screen" or "Umbrella".
- "Mund" is German for "Mouth".
- "Anfang" is German for "Beginning", The fact that the last official battle of the war is fought there could mean "the beginning of the end."
- "Rot" is German for Red.
- "Grun" is German for Green. (correctly "Grün")
- "Indigo" is German for Indigo.
- "Gelb" is German for Yellow.
- "Schnee" is German for Snow.
- "Silber" is German for Silver.
- "Gault" is German for Gold. (correctly written "Gold" in German, it is pronounced very similar to "Gault"). Also Gault is a clay formation of stiff blue clay deposited in a calm, fairly deep water marine environment during the Lower Cretaceous Period (Upper and Middle Albian).
- "Tauberg" is German and translates roughly as "Dew Hill" or "Rope Hill".
- "Waldriech" is German and translates roughly as "Forest Smell". (probably meant to be "Waldreich", which translates as "Forest Empire")
- "Regen" is German for Rain.
- "Amsel" is German for Blackbird.
- "Gebet" is German for Prayer.
- "Vulkan" is German for Volcano.
- "Adler" is German for Eagle.
- "Eisvogel" is German for Ice Bird.
- "Gabel" is German for Fork.
- "Grani". In Norse mythology, Grani is a horse owned by the hero Sigurd. He is the horse that Sigurd receives through advice from an old man (Odin). Grani is a descendant of Odin's own steed, Sleipnir.
- "Schanze" is German for lair.
- "Beo" (Beowa, Beaw, Beow, or Bedwig) is a figure in Anglo-Saxon paganism associated with barley and agriculture.
- The saturation bombing of Hoffnung in mission 11 of Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War may be an allegory to the firebombing of Dresden in World War II.
- Mund Valley, the valley where Avalon Dam was built, could be a reference to Peenemunde, a real life V2 facility.
- Belka's history of being several separate states during the Middle Ages and being Ruled by Knights may be a Reference to Feudal Japan and Middle Ages Germany as both were under similar scenarios during the Middle Ages.
- Belka's loss of its Air Force after the Belkan War mirrors the Morgenthau Plan, a plan elaborated by US secretary Henry Morgenthau Junior whose objective was to strip Germany of its warfare waging capabilities; however, the Belkan Federation only lost it's air force.
- The Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise also features a nation called Belka, which may have been inspired by Belka in AC, seeing how both are militaristic, German-speaking superpowers with advanced technology and a tradition of knightly values. This is just one of the shout-outs to Ace Combat in the Nanoha series.
- Belka's national flag and Air Force roundel is very similar to that of Estonia.