The ASF-X Shinden II (震電Ⅱ, "Magnificent Lightning") is a next-generation combat aircraft. In the Assault Horizon universe, the aircraft was a prototype for the active service variants, collectively known as the F-3 Shinden II, developed to protect Japan airspace.
The ASF-X Shinden II was created by Shōji Kawamori, known as the creator of the Macross series, as exclusive downloadable content for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. The aircraft was an attempt by Project Aces to bring together the futuristic style of Kawamori's work (most notably seen in his Variable Fighter designs) with modern flight technology.
Ace Combat Infinity, the next console release in the Ace Combat series following Assault Horizon, featured the ASF-X Shinden II as the aircraft of choice of the Ridgeback Squadron, an elite squadron under the United Nations Forces. The aircraft's development history in the Infinity universe is still unknown.
Assault Horizon universe
- For a full timeline of events related to this aircraft's development and service in the Assault Horizon universe, see ASF-X Shinden II/Timeline.
Following the September 11 attacks and the 2002 Japan unauthorized incursion incident, the Japanese military was determined to create a new aircraft to defend the country. Development began in 2003. The aircraft was named the "Shinden II" due to some of the developers being interested in Imperial Japanese Navy technology (specifically the Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden).
The Shinden II remained in development and testing until September 2018, when the Haneda Incident forced the Japanese government to equip four test units (known as ASF-X units) with live weaponry. They successfully thwarted a second NRF terrorist attack, and the Shinden II entered full service shortly afterward.
In the Infinity universe, the ASF-X was developed by Japan after the Ulysses Disaster, likely to fulfill a similar role to its original incarnation. It was adopted as the main aircraft of the United Nations Forces' Ridgeback Squadron, who customized them to achieve greater performance.
During Operation Eternal Liberation, the Shinden II was mass-produced and given to mercenaries allied with the UNF.
Ace Combat Infinity
- "This fictional state-of-the-art support fighter has a variable airframe that provides stable flight performance at any speed, making it ideal for a variety of missions such as attacking hostile fleets in territorial waters, engaging enemies attempting to land, and providing support during mountain defense operations. Boasting a variable, forward swept wing configuration, its outstanding maneuverability provides excellent close-range combat abilities. It has a unique two-tiered engine, allowing it to be a VTOL aircraft as well. It is known widely as "Shinden II" (Magnificent Lightning II)."
- ― Hangar
How to Unlock
- The ASF-X Shinden II can be purchased from the Aircraft Tree for 432,000 credits.
Credit Price Calculator
The calculator below shows the total credit price to upgrade this aircraft between any two levels. Enable "NSU Form" if a Nonstandard Upgrade Request Form will be used to negate the Lv.5->Lv.6 price. The total will update automatically.
These are the minimum / maximum part slots this aircraft carries at the respective levels. Part slots can be added until they reach maximum by repeatedly sortieing with the aircraft; see Tuning for more information. A maximum of 7 parts can be equipped at any time, regardless of available slots.
|BODY / Max||ARMS / Max||MISC / Max|
|Lv.1-5||32 / 38||32 / 38||32 / 38|
|Lv.6-14||34 / 40||34 / 40||34 / 40|
|Lv.15-19||35 / 41||35 / 41||35 / 41|
|Lv.20||36 / 42||36 / 42||36 / 42|
Upgrading this aircraft to these levels will unlock the respective nicknames for use at any time.
- Lv.3: Sea Lightning
- Lv.10: Ridgebacks
- Lv.15: Icarus
- Lv.20: Super Felix
- Gray body
- Ocean blue top, gray nose & light gray bottom with JASDF roundels on forward fuselage and wings
- Limited-Time Drop (January 1–February 1, 2016)
- Purchase from the Special Supply catalogue for 100 (August 1, 2016–permanent)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
- This fictional state-of-the-art support fighter has a variable airframe that provides stable flight performance at any speed level making it ideal for a variety of missions such as attacking hostile fleets in territorial waters, engaging enemies attempting to land, and providing support during mountain defense operations. Boasting a variable, forward swept wing configuration, its outstanding maneuverability provides excellent close range combat abilities. It has a unique two-tiered engine allowing it to be a VTOL aircraft as well. It is known widely as "Shinden II" (Magnificent Lightning II).
How to Unlock
- The ASF-X Shinden II must be purchased and downloaded for the game through PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE. It comes for free (like most other DLC) on the Steam version.
- Gun: 20 mm JM61A1 six-barrel rotary cannon
- Missile: AAM-3
- 6 Target Air-to-Air Missile: AAM-4
- Rocket Launcher: JLAU-3A
- Long-Range Air-to-Ground Missile: XASM-3
- Color 1: Dark gray camouflage with Japan Air Self-Defense Force markings.
- Color 2: Metallic blue with JASDF markings.
- Color 3: Darker grey with gold tips, featuring Project Aces and 19th Task Force emblems.
- This aircraft, along with the AV-8B Harrier II, is capable of holding the nose level through a stall, likely as an attempt to simulate VTOL capabilities to a limited extent.
- The ASF-X Shinden II will appear as a guest character in the upcoming PlayStation Vita game Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version. The game also features "Comona" from the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Original Soundtrack.
- ↑ Far Eastern Front. Ace Combat Infinity.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File. NO PAGE PROVIDED.
- ↑ GUMI And Freedom Wars Mascot Appear As Guests In Taiko: Drum Master V Version. Siliconera. Published May 8, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Taiko Drum Master: V Version adds Uta no Prince-Sama and Ace Combat songs. Gematsu. Published May 7, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.