Farbanti is the capital of the Kingdom of Erusea. It is located on the western seaboard of the Usean continent and is home to the Erusian military's General Headquarters. Farbanti was one of the many metropolitan areas affected by the planetfall of the Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid in 1999. Notable areas within the city include Johnson Memorial Bridge, Silver Bridge, and the city's flooded municipal district.
Farbanti is divided into three districts by the river that traverses it: the municipal district to the southwest of the river, the government district to the south, and a (possibly) suburban, residential area to the north and east. The landscape north of the river is slightly elevated above sea level and gradually flattens as it approaches the coastline. Farbanti's most notable topographical feature, Ryker Crater, is visible beneath the ocean surface where part of the city's municipal district once stood.
Two through arch bridges connect the city's northern and southern districts: Johnson Memorial Bridge, which runs north-south, and Silver Bridge, which runs east-west. Johnson Memorial Bridge was destroyed by ISAF fighters during the siege of Farbanti, but was likely rebuilt sometime after the conclusion of the Continental War; Silver Bridge remained intact through the battle.
Information about Farbanti pre-Ulysses is scarce: the exact date of Farbanti's founding remains unknown, as is the point at which it became the capital of Erusea. However, historical records indicate that Farbanti was growing to the point that it warranted demarcation on antiquated world maps. As a port city with widespread urbanization and a large commercial district, however, it can be assumed that Farbanti was a boon to the Erusian economy.
Ulysses planetfall and aftermath
Main article: Usean refugee crisis
When the Ulysses asteroid made planetfall on Strangereal's Earth, one of its fragments struck Farbanti. The city's municipal district was flooded, and several thousand civilians were killed, injured, or displaced as a result of the devastation.
Following the disaster, the Usean nations agreed to admit a certain quota of civilian refugees from neighboring countries to expedite relief efforts. However, Erusea's xenophobic government, seated in Farbanti, began restricting access to refugees from April 2000 onward, and soon after authorized the invasion of San Salvacion and the seizure of Stonehenge. These events were the catalyst for the continental war.
Farbanti remained untouched for a majority of the war as a result of Erusea's success in pushing the ISAF military eastward. Even as the ISAF began to emerge victorious in several key engagements, Erusea's location in the westernmost reaches of Usea ensured that ISAF forces would not get within striking distance of the capital without significantly pushing back the Erusian forces.
On September 19, 2005, at 1820hrs, ISAF forces entered the city limits and laid siege to Farbanti, utilizing air, sea, and ground units. The Erusian defenses included tank battalions, anti-air weaponry, numerous fighter aircraft, and several warships. An additional Erusian tank force en route from the north attempted to reinforce the GHQ, but ISAF squadrons destroyed Johnson Memorial Bridge, cutting off the fastest route to the GHQ.
As the battle tipped in the ISAF's favor, many high-ranking Erusian military officers—including the Supreme Commander—attempted to escape Farbanti via helicopter. All of the helicopters were shot down and destroyed by ISAF pilots, and within minutes, ground units had infiltrated and captured the Erusian GHQ. The Federal Erusea Air Force's Yellow Squadron scrambled in a last-ditch effort to shoot down ISAF's ace pilot, Mobius 1, and regain air superiority over the capital; however, all five pilots, including the infamous Yellow 13, were shot down and presumed killed. Immediately afterward, ISAF ground troops broadcast orders for the immediate surrender of all Erusian troops, officially ending the war.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
- Farbanti can be considered an allegory for Washington, D.C. in terms of its architecture and political significance: the Erusian GHQ bears a resemblance to The Pentagon, and several nearby obelisks are similar to the Washington Monument.
- The large artificial islands along Farbanti's coastline appear similar to that of Tokyo, Japan; following the events shown in Ace Combat Infinity, the similarities are even more noticeable.
- Interestingly, many of the buildings in Farbanti's flooded Municipal District/downtown core seem to be modelled after those in Toronto's Financial District. These include First Canadian Place, Scotia Plaza, the Ritz-Carlton Toronto, and Simcoe Place, among others.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Siege of Farbanti, Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - E3 2017 Trailer.
- ↑ File:Old Strangereal Map Wallpaper 1024x768.jpg.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Friction Comes to the Surface of the Refugee Problem", GAZE: War? Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- ↑ "The Acquirement of the Country", GAZE: War? Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- ↑ AC04Web. Archived through the Web Archive as of August 4, 2016.