Mach Storm is a 2013 arcade game developed by Bandai Namco Games. It was released in Japan on December 19, 2013, and has also been released worldwide.
Mach Storm uses an special cabinet called P.O.D. (Panaromic Optical Display), which was first used in the 2007 arcade game Mobile Suit Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield. The player flies as the flight lead of Storm Squadron in a CFA-44 Nosferatu while battling enemy forces in locales across the world. The P.O.D. reacts to the user's actions, activating fans when flying at high speeds or vibrating the chair if the aircraft gets damaged.
After selecting a level, the player flies in an scripted path while battling various enemies, mostly other aircraft but also including helicopters and naval vessels. Bonuses can be earned by killing several enemies in quick succession or with gunfire. Levels include cinematic sequences, such as collapsing buildings and flying through cramped spaces.
Each level concludes with a timed boss encounter at the end, such as a squadron of Tu-160 Blackjacks or an Aigaion-class heavy command cruiser. After that, the player has the option to use another credit to play a bonus round which will involve getting as many kills as possible to potentially double the player's score. At the end of the session, the player is ranked for their actions and placed on a local leaderboard.
Ace Combat references
- Screenshots from Assault Horizon are used in the "mission select" screen.
- CVN-30 is the aircraft carrier of which player aircraft is launched from in the beginning of each mission.
- The Su-37 Terminator is an enemy aircraft in Miami and Paris.
- The Mi-24 Hind is an enemy in Dubai and Paris. It uses the Color 2 paintjob from Assault Horizon.
- A second Nosferatu with Color 1 from Assault Horizon and Fires of Liberation accompanies the player at the start of every mission. To the point it even keeps the Emmerian roundels.
- 2 Tu-160 Blackjack appear as the boss in the Miami stage.
- P-270 Moskit cruise missiles are the boss for the Dubai stage.
- An Aigaion-class heavy command cruiser is the boss in the Tokyo stage.