Megalith -Agnus Dei- is a song of the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Original Soundtrack; it is featured as the 13th track on Disc 2. It was composed by Keiki Kobayashi and its lyrics were performed by Namco Hometek Choir (a group of choral singers hired by Namco). It's the main theme of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies final mision, Megalith.
Megalith -Agnus Dei- follows the same musical style that dominates most of the soundtrack; it combines electronic percussion with a backing of brass instruments, cellos and drums, over which the chorus is laid.
- This section features an in-depth analysis involving the Christian religion. If you would not like to read such material, please ignore this section.
The song's lyrics have never been officially released. Listening closely and comparing it to Rex Tremendae (which plays immediately before) leads to the belief that the lyrics are taken from the "Introitus" and "Agnus Dei" sections of Mozart's Requiem Mass in D minor, itself a reference to the Agnus Dei liturgical text used in many Christian churches, which reads:
- Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
This translates to the following English text:
- Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
While this is the liturgical text, Mozart's arrangement for his Requiem Mass seems to be where Megalith -Agnus Dei-'s lyrics were taken from.
The phrase "Agnus Dei" is Latin for "Lamb of God", a title given to Jesus as attested in the Gospel of John (specifically John 1:29: "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world"). Together with Rex Tremendae and the plot of Operation Judgement Day, the following can be inferred by Megalith -Agnus Dei-'s lyrics:
- Mobius 1 is Jesus, the sacrificial Lamb of God.
- Megalith, the weapon of mass destruction and the epitome of Erusea's "sins", is the megalith upon which Mobius 1 is sacrificed. In a subversion of this reference, however, Mobius 1 survives the battle.
- The theme is also used in I Wanna Be The Boshy's final boss level. 
- On February 4, 2017, Bandai Namco hosted the first Orchestral Memories concert in Paris. "Megalith -Agnus Dei-" and "FIRES OF LIBERATION" from Ace Combat 6 were both performed live for the first time (alongside "Zero" and "The Unsung War", which had been previously performed).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Full Text Lyrics to Mozart's Requiem. Good-Music-Guide.com. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- ↑ The Lamb of God. Sergei Bulgakov. ISBN 0-8028-2779-9. Published 2008.
- ↑ I Wanna Be The Boshy - Solgryn: Final Boss (All Attacks & Credits) YouTube. Published by MyEveryRottenGiggles on September 9, 2011. Retrieved on August 28, 2015.
- ↑ . Facebook, by AceCombatHawx. Published on February 10, 2017. Retrieved on February 11, 2017.