Mobius 1 (メビウス・ワン Mebiusu Wan) was an ace pilot of the Independent State Allied Forces Air Force during and after the Second Usean Continental War. He is the player character of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies and was renowned for almost single-handedly defeating Erusea and the rebellious Free Erusea forces following the war's conclusion. His signature aircraft is the F-22A Raptor.
The success of Ace Combat 04 has led to Mobius 1 becoming one of the most iconic characters in the Ace Combat franchise. The livery of his F-22 is available as an alternate color scheme in many games, and he is featured as a non-canonical character in several bonus missions.
Characteristics and personalityEdit
Nothing is known of Mobius 1's identity, apart from his callsign and the nicknames he earned later in the Second Usean Continental War. He is most likely male, given that AWACS SkyEye repeatedly refers to Mobius 1 by the masculine "he" or "him" towards the end of the game. The fact that he began the game as an aircraft carrier pilot indicates he may have been initially part of his country's naval aviation division rather than a ground-based air force pilot.
Second Usean Continental WarEdit
For the majority of the war, Mobius 1 was the only member of the ISAF's 118th Tactical Fighter Wing (Mobius Squadron). Whether this was by design or the result of losing squadmates during the Erusians' offensive is unknown. During Operation Judgment Day, however, pilots from other ISAF's squadrons were merged under Mobius 1's command for their last official mission.
During his first assignment, Mobius 1 earned himself the title of "ace" by single-handedly shooting down six Tu-95 Bear bombers and their fighter escorts over Newfield Island. Thereafter, Mobius 1 continued his extraordinary performance in ISAF's combat operations; in particular, he is credited with the destruction of the Erusian superweapons known as Stonehenge and Megalith. Mobius 1 also holds the record of being the first ISAF pilot to shoot down a member of the elite Erusian Yellow Squadron.
In addition to these achievements, Mobius 1 was also responsible for the success of operations such as:
- Operation Rough Seas: Contributed to the sinking of the Erusians' "Invincible" Aegir Fleet.
- Operation Countdown: Flew as one of the defending air superiority fighters providing top-cover for the launch of a key ISAF reconnaissance satellite. This would be the largest air battle since Operation Battle-Axe of the Belkan War. Mobius 1's performance highlights are numerous, which include shooting down an SR-71 Blackbird, E-767, KC-10A Extender, six B-2A Spirit bombers, and landing a hit on a Yellow Squadron member.
- Operation Bunker Shot: Provided close air support for ISAF's amphibious landing forces on the southern coast of the Usean mainland, allowing them to begin a counteroffensive to retake the continent.
- Operation Stone Crusher: Penetrated Stonehenge airspace and served a major strike role, resulting in his single-handed destruction of the superweapon and achieving a confirmed kill on a member of Yellow Squadron. This event was a turning point in the war and led to him gaining worldwide fame.
- Operation Firefly: Provided close air support during the emancipation of San Salvacion, and shot down several Yellow Squadron members.
- Operation Autumn Thunder: Flew as a leading ISAF pilot during the siege and capture of the Erusian capital, Farbanti. Mobius 1 also shot down the remaining Yellow Squadron pilots, including Yellow 13, and destroyed several MV-22s carrying Erusea's command personnel.
- Operation Judgment Day: The newly formed Mobius Squadron, under his command, defeated the Erusians' entire defensive squadron and aided in the destruction of Megalith, the superweapon designed as a replacement for Stonehenge.
In 2006, Mobius 1 returned to active duty to defeat the last of the Erusian extremists. The group, calling themselves "Free Erusea", launched an armed insurrection against ISAF observers and the interim Erusian government. Mobius 1, aided by SkyEye, was deployed to halt the rebels' combat operations and suppress the resistance.
During the final battle with Free Erusea, Mobius 1 was engaged by a squadron of experimental X-02 Wyverns. Despite the Erusian fighters' technological advantage, Mobius 1 successfully shot them down and returned to base. There are no records indicating what became of Mobius 1 after the end of the conflict.
Appearances in other gamesEdit
Mobius 1's legacy has led to several cameo appearances and references in future Ace Combat titles.
- Ace Combat 5: The original color livery of the F-22A is the SP paint of the OADF F-22. However, the engine nozzles lack their golden coloring.
- Ace Combat Zero: Mobius 1's livery is the "Soldier" paint scheme of the F-22A. In addition, Mobius 1 makes a physical appearance as the final boss of the special stage, The Gauntlet. The game files also contain a .vut file with the comment *Mebiusu 1_-_Megalith Alt, an allusion to the starting altitude of Megalith: 6666 feet.
- Ace Combat 6: The Mobius livery is a download color for the F-22A, dubbed the "F-22A -MOBIUS-", which achieves high battle capability at the expense of losing all armor. In addition, a pilot called Mobius is referred to in background chatter in the Chandelier mission, in which a character is heard softly saying "Mobius 1 back me up". In addition to being mentioned in the Chandelier mission, Mobius 1's name can also be heard in the cinematic clip at the beginning of the Selumna Peak mission.
- Ace Combat: Joint Assault: Mobius is one of the "legacy" enemies appearing in the special mission "Ace of Aces", being the 70th aircraft the player must face. He initially fights slowly, but later adopts the aggressive flight patterns of the Varcolac Squadron.
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception: The Special 2 paint scheme for the F-22A features the Mobius 1 livery.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: Mobius 1's callsign and livery are awarded to the player after being titled a "Hero" once in online multiplayer (dealing the final blow to the enemy's HQ in Capital Conquest).
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy: Features a customization part called the "Mobius Loop".
- Ace Combat Infinity: In line with the various references to Ace Combat 4, Mobius 1's nickname "The Grim Reaper" is adopted as the callsign of the player character, Reaper. Additionally, aircraft based on the ones he used, the F-22A -Mobius1- and the F-4E -Mobius1- , were included in the game.
- Mobius 1's and Yellow 13's paint schemes are found in most of the series' installments following Ace Combat 4.
- Mobius 1 also makes many non-canonical appearances as an enemy ace in several games:
- In Ace Combat Zero, Mobius 1 can be fought in the bonus mission The Gauntlet. He only appears on Ace difficulty and under the condition that the player shoots down Espada Squadron in under one minute.
- In Ace Combat 6, Mobius 1 can be fought in the Ace of Aces DLC mission "Heavy Command Cruiser".
- In Ace Combat: Joint Assault, Mobius 1 appears as an enemy ace in the mission, Ace of Aces, after shooting down the 69th aircraft.
- In Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception, an ace, callsign "ORCA", flies an F/B-22 Concept in the livery of Mobius 1.
- ↑ Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Operation Katina. Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Cinematic preceding Sitting Duck.
- ↑ Sitting Duck. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Stonehenge Offensive. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Megalith. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Invincible Fleet. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Shattered Skies. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Operation Bunker Shot. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Emancipation. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Siege of Farbanti. Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.