- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Bunker Shot (Strangereal).
Operation Bunker Shot is the ninth campaign mission of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. It is mainly an air-to-ground operation to support the ISAF's amphibious landing forces.
The troops are regrouped and ready to reclaim lost territory from the Erusians in the amphibious Operation Bunker Shot. The plan requires our forces to follow an extremely narrow and vulnerable path from the landing site to the inland objective. This path allows the enemy to concentrate their fire, and provides them with a distinctive advantage. However, this route lies out of Stonehenge's effective range. Your mission is to reduce troop casualties at the beach landing sites.
The goal of the operation is to inflict as much damage as possible on the Erusians' coastal defenses, allowing the ISAF landing forces to secure the three major beachheads: Halle, Crowne and Caranda. In order to complete the 2,200-point requirement, the player must pick and choose targets spread across the three landing sites. It is recommended that the play seek out and destroy the various high-value targets, such as the coastal artillery guns, radar and pillboxes, before focusing on the AA weaponry and fighter aircraft. Once all of the units on the beaches are destroyed, an additional wave of enemies will appear slightly further inland for the player to dispatch at will. Due to the mission's extended nature, it is recommended that the player make use of the Return Line at some point.
If the player has acquired the necessary 2,200 points when the 10-minute timer runs out, AWACS SkyEye will update the player that a squadron of enemy A-10 strike bombers are inbound to the central beachhead. These bombers are also supported by a small number of fighter escorts. The player will have an additional 7 minutes to dispatch these bombers, upon which the mission is completed.
In order to achieve an S rank in this mission, the player must attain a score of at least 4,400 points within the mission's duration. Again, focusing on high-value targets, using the Return Line, and destroying a large number of lower-value targets (tanks, AA weaponry, etc.) is crucial to achieving an S rank. Try to score as many points as possible before the mission update; the six A-10s are worth 100 points each and will provide a helpful boost to your final score.
- F-15C Tuttle — Located north of the mountains near the central beach (only under SP New Game → Normal or harder)
A beachhead was established through fierce fighting at each of the landing sites, but this is only the first step towards regaining the mainland.
- The nature of ISAF's large-scale amphibious landing operation on multiple fronts during bad weather is highly reminiscent of the Normandy landings during World War II.
- During the development of the game, the ISAF landing force were to have initially used DUKW amphibious troop carriers.
- Ambient dialogue during the mission includes an Allied soldier commanding others to "fix bayonets"; this is not entirely unrealistic, as bayonets are still used by a number of armed forces around the world.
|Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Missions|