The Sukhoi Su-37 Terminator is a very maneuverable thrust vectoring fighter derived from an Su-35 prototype. The Su-37 represents a new level of capability compared with the Su-27 and Su-35. With the adoption of the Su-35S, it is now technologically obsolete.
Ace Combat 2Edit
The Su-37 appears as a non-playable aircraft in Ace Combat 2, where it is used by the Usean Rebel Force. It is capable of performing the Pugachev's Cobra maneuver in the game.
Ace Combat 04: Shattered SkiesEdit
- "An improved version of the SU-35. Rear-radar and thrust vectoring provide unrivaled power in air combat."
- ― Hangar description.
In Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, the Su-37 is a high-level Fighter-type aircraft. One of the rarest planes in the game, it is the plane of choice of the 156th Tactical Fighter Wing of the Federal Erusean Air Force, the "Yellow Squadron".
It is first featured in the mission "Lifeline", and is later seen in "Shattered Skies", "Stonehenge Offensive", "Emancipation", "Siege of Farbanti" and "Megalith". It also appears in the Trial Mission "Face Off".
One of the last aircraft unlocked, it is made available upon the completition of the mission "Whiskey Corridor", along with the F-22A and the F-15 ACTIVE, costing $589,000 credits to purchase. An upgrade of the Su-35, the Su-37 is a Fighter-class aircraft designed with dogfighting in mind, and possesses high Air-to-Air and Mobility parameters to match. It has equally high airspeed and a relatively high armor statistic, and its design provides it with very high maneuverability.
These characteristics are balanced by low stability and weak air-to-ground capabilities. In combat, one should always make the best use out of the Terminator, as its speed and mobility make it a very effective aircraft in nearly all combat scenarios.
The Su-37 is armed with 78 standard missiles and a machine gun with 850 rounds. Compatible special weapons include the Long-range Air-to-Surface Missile (20 pieces),Quick maneuvering Air-to-Air Missile (8 pieces),and Unguided Bomb Large (16 pieces)
- Color 1: Brown and green camouflage.
- Color 2: Drabby Gray. Costs $589,000.
- Color 3: Yellow Squadron livery. Costs $766,000.
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung WarEdit
The Su-37 returns in Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, this time with a much lesser prominence on the game's plotline. In this incarnation, the aircraft is christened "Terminator".
In the single-player campaign, it makes a single appearance in the mission "ACES", in which a Terminator piloted by the ace "Yellow" appears towards the final part of the tunnel run at the end of the mission, assisting two other Belkan aircraft in attacking the escaping Razgriz Air Command Squadron. Of all aircraft in this segment, it is the only which can fire missiles at will, making this part difficult.
As a player aircraft, the Su-37 is the fourth and final aircraft of the Su-27 Flanker family. It is unlocked upon filling the Kill Rate Gauge of the Su-35 Super Flanker (which is unlocked by filling the Su-27's KRG), and has a cost of $23,700 credits per unit.
- OS: Two-tone brown splinter camouflage.
- Razgriz paint scheme.
- SP: Yellow Squadron livery. Unlocked by defeating the ace "Yellow" in the mission "ACES".
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan WarEdit
- "Known as the "Terminator", this variant of the Su-27 was developed as an all-weather multipurpose fighter. Cutting edge electronics, and thrust vectoring nozzles give it unprecedented dogfighting capabilitites."
- ― Selection menu description.
In Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War, the Su-37 Terminator is an advanced fighter aircraft used by the Belkan Air Force. The aircraft is first introduced in gameplay as the plane of choice of the Gelb Squadron in the mission "Diapason". An ace version, name Erich "Reiher" Klismann, can be encountered under Knight Ace Style in "Mayhem", while a second Terminator, Dedrick "Trombe" Ebert can be engaged in "The Stage of Apocalypse".
The Su-37 is unlocked upon the completition of "Diapason". The aircraft's price in the Hangar screen is $130,000, making it the costliest available aircraft in the first half of the game.
As per past playable incarnations, the Terminator is designed with an emphasis on air-to-air combat, and has a characteristically high combination of high air combat capabilities, maneuverability and mobility. Its relatively high defense also allows it to endure damage in heavy combat, and quite stable in low speed flight. Its low ground attack capabilities, however, prevent it from becoming a full-fledged multipurpose aircraft, although this does not prevent the player from using it for such roles.
The Terminator is armed with 82 MSSLs. The aircraft's special weapons arsenal is suited for a variety of roles, following the example of the Ace Combat 04 version, including Fuel Air Explosive Bombs, XLAAs and Napalm Bombs.
- Standard: Brown splinter camouflage.
- Mercenary: Yellow Squadron paint scheme.
- Soldier: Arctic blue/white camouflage. Used in Ace Combat 04 as initial paint job for the Su-35.
- Knight: Brown and green camouflage. Ace Combat 04 standard paint scheme.
- Special: 23rd Tactical Fighter Squadron (Gelb) paintjob.
Ace Combat X: Skies of DeceptionEdit
In Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception, the Su-37 is a medium fighter aircraft operated by the Leasath Air Force. It is first introduced as an enemy in the mission "Striking Point", and is featured later, under certain circumstances, as an enemy ace called "Sorrow" in "Alect Squadron".
The Terminator is added to the Hangar arsenal after finishing the mission "Gaiuss Tower", its acquisition price being $49,100 credits. A Fighter-class plane, it retains the same performance characteristics of its previous gameplay appearances, possessing high dogfighting capilities and agility. It retains the same special weapons arsenal from Ace Combat Zero; however, the Napalm Bomb is replaced by the Quick Maneuvering Air-to-Air Missile (QAAM).
- Aurelia: Brown and green camouflage pattern. Reused from Ace Combat Zero.
- Leasath: Yellow/brown camouflage. Reused from Ace Combat Zero.
- Special 1: Matte black paint scheme.
- Special 2: Yellow Squadron livery.
Ace Combat Xi: Skies of IncursionEdit
In Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion, the Su-37 Terminator is a Fighter aircraft availabe exclusively through downloading. It is included in version 1.1.0, and is one of the five new aircraft included within, along with the Su-27 Flanker, Su-47 Berkut, S-32 and MiG-29A Fulcrum. It costs $0.99 or ¥115 to download.
Ace Combat: Joint AssaultEdit
- "A multipurpose fighter, boasting advances electronics and thrust vectoring nozzles."
- ― Hangar description.
In Ace Combat: Joint Assault's campaign, the Su-37 Terminator is used by the Valahia. It is the aircraft of choice of Tolya Kiriakov, the third member of the Varcolac Squadron, who uses it in the mission "Sanctify".
As well, it is also one of the "signature" aircraft of the game, along with the F-22A Raptor, A-10A Thunderbolt II and F-14D Super Tomcat, or the Rafale M. In addition, two Terminators are fought as enemies in the extra mission "Ace of Aces", while a third is flown by the level's first enemy ace, "Storigon".
The Terminator is unlocked after clearing mission #21B, "Reprisal" or completing mission #17 after the first playthrough, and costs $184,000 credits to buy. Contrary to previous appearances, the aircraft's unmodified statistics are now more balanced, with slightly lessened anti-air capabilities, which can be remedied through part tuning. As well, it retains its characteristic maneuverability.
The Su-37's weapons repertoire is changed from Skies of Deception. The Heavy Weight Missile, Light Weight Missile and High Accuracy Missile upgrade the Terminator's combat capabilities, and enhance its special weapons arsenal. The aircraft retains its secondary arms repertoire from Ace Combat X, which now includes the Long Range Air-to-Surface Missile (LASM).
- C01: Brown/green camouflage pattern. Reused from Ace Combat X.
- C02: Yellow/brown camouflage. Reused from Ace Combat X.
- C03: Solid black body paint. Reused from Ace Combat X.
- C04: 156th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Aquila" paint scheme.
- C05: Varcolac paint scheme.
- C06: 9th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Strigon" paint scheme.
Ace Combat: Assault HorizonEdit
- "This all-weather multipurpose fighter was developed to increase the aerial combat abilities of the Su-27. It is the first aircraft within the Flanker series to incorporate 2DCD thrust-vectoring nozzles resulting in increased turning performance. The addition of canard wings also provide increased stability. In 1996, the aircraft performed the very first Kulbit maneuver at an air show capturing the attention of people across the world. This aircraft is commonly known as the "Terminator.""
- ― Hangar description.
The Terminator made a return in the latest addition to the series, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. It was officially released on December 14, 2011 as part of DLC Pack #5. It comes with Yellow 13's color scheme from Ace Combat 04 as Color 3.
The Su-37's stats this time around are unique; fire power is fairly high, mobility and defense right before it, speed being a little on the slow side, but stability being the lowest of all the stats. Overall, its stats are similar to that of Su-35S, but with the values of speed and stability swapped. However, they are still quite above average, and the plane still retains its popularity.
- Color 1: Russian Air Force/Warwolf Squadron. Yellow/brown camouflage.
- Color 2: New Russian Federation. Two-tone blue camouflage. A replica of a real world Su-27M with bort number 710, the testbed for 117S engines that would be used for the upcoming Su-35S.
- Color 3: Federal Erusean Air Force/Yellow Squadron.
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon LegacyEdit
The Su-37 Terminator is once again a playable aircraft in Assault Horizon Legacy. Performance remains the same. It can be unlocked two ways; either complete mission 20 in the main story mode, or complete mission 6 on hard/ace difficulty.
- C01: Gray camouflage with "Scarface" markings.
- C02: Yellow Squadron livery.
- C03: Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation "Strigon" paintjob.
- C04: Sky/arctic blue camouflage.
- C05: Black paint with green flame body livery. Customizable.
- C06: Pink version of color #1 with magenta tone in the wingtips. Customizable.
- The Su-37's NATO reporting name used throughout the Ace Combat series, "Terminator", is not the same as the NATO actually uses for it ("Flanker-F"). It is possible that Strangereal uses a different naming convention, but that wouldn't explain why the plane is still referred as "Terminator" in games set on Earth.
- The alternate possibility is that the moniker is directly adopted from Sukhoi and refers to the model's vastly improved electronics. A quick sweep with Yandex.ru searcher indicates that this moniker is universally accepted, yet no explantion is ever given. The current "Terminator" of the Russian Armed forces is the Object 199/BMPT "Ramka".
- The Su-37 model used in Assault Horizon has the elevators and nozzles a bit swept down by default. It is unknown if this is a glitch or it was intentional.
- In some of the installments, one can even attempt to pull a rudimentary Cobra by pulling the nose up while decelerating to near-stall speeds; instead of falling towards the ground, it remains in position for a while.