- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Arcadia.
- "The SOLG has fallen to an altitude low enough for you to attack. I know you can do this. Destroy it!"
- ― AWACS Oka Nieba
The Unsung War is the 29th and final campaign mission of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War. Following the events of the previous mission, the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun began an automatic descent towards Oured programmed to occur if it ever lost contact with the ground control devices. The player must destroy the SOLG before the V2 inside causes massive destruction on Oured.
The SOLG's descent was detected by our radar at 0445 hours. We believe it was programmed to automatically descend if control was ever cut off from the surface. We have calculated the SOLG's course of descent from its previous orbit. Its estimated landing point is downtown Oured, the capital of Osea. Get to the SOLG's descent point as quickly as possible, and destroy it before it hits Oured. You must complete the mission, and come back alive. Anything less is not acceptable. Razgriz, we wish you the best of luck. Launch.
If the mission isn't being accessed through Free Mission, the player and the player's squadmates will all use the same aircraft as the previous mission. The player will start out on a highway in Oured being used as a makeshift runway, and must perform a takeoff.
After takeoff, the player and the rest of the squadron will spawn to the southeastern edge of the mission boundary. A marker is placed to the northwestern edge to denote the SOLG's descent point, and the player must arrive there as quickly as possible to have enough time to destroy it.
A little over halfway to the descent point, Grabacr and Ofnir will appear and engage the player one last time. The player's priority must be placed on arriving at the SOLG's descent point, but they can take some time to shoot down the enemy squadrons if possible. However, they are not mission-important and can be left alone for the remainder of the mission.
Mission Update 2
This Mission Update is not notified to the player, but still affects the objective and time remaining.
Once the SOLG has reached the descent point, the player will be free to engage it.
- If the player arrives at the descent point and spares the Belkan fighters, they will self-destruct once the countdown begins.
- Using a number of weapons on the SOLG will yield interesting results.
- Using the ADF-01 FALKEN's Tactical Laser System on the SOLG will instantly destroy any part of the satellite that the laser touches, including the normally invincible loading arms and accelerator ring.
- If the player manages to destroy a single core component of the SOLG with a Rocket Launcher barrage (aircraft such as the MiG-21bis Fishbed have it as a SP weapon), the game will treat the single core being destroyed as if all four had been destroyed, and the mission will successfully complete.
- Using certain small aircraft such as the X-29A, the player can fly inside the SOLG from behind and destroy a hidden target at the end of the tunnel; its destruction will instantly complete the mission. Using the RCL or the FALKEN's laser allows this target to be destroyed from the front.
- When the SOLG is 10 miles from Oured, the four large loading arms and all remaining solar panels will fall off. At 5 miles, the rotating accelerator ring also falls away, leading the cores completely exposed.
- If the player does not destroy the SOLG before the mission timer runs out, a short cutscene will show the SOLG smashing into Oured in a massive nuclear explosion, before the standard "Mission Failed" message appears.
- The game files include Oka Nieba saying "SOLG gun barrel destroyed!" and "SOLG loader unit destroyed!" implying there was originally planned to be more to this battle.
- The title of the piano tune that begins when Grabacr and Ofnir are defeated and plays until the SOLG descends into the combat airspace is "15 Years Ago".