|The Unsung War|
|Game||Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War|
|Objective||Destroy the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun before it hits Oured.|
|Date||December 31, 2010|
|Location||Oured, Osean Federation|
The Unsung War is the 29th and final mission of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
In December 30 2010, Osean president Vincent Harling and Yuktobanian Prime Minister Seryozha Nikanor partook in an emergency speech in the city of Oured, in which they revealed how the events of the Circum-Pacific War were caused by intervention from the Principality of Belka, which led to a joint Osean-Yuke engagement against the forces of Grunder Industries in the North Osea city of Sudentor. Towards the end of the battle, the Razgriz Air Command Squadron flew inside a large tunnel system inside a mountain, and with the aid of Jack Bartlett, destroyed the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun's (SOLG) remote control systems located within.
However, the Osean military later discovered the satellite making an approach towards Earth before 05:00 AM, prompting them to assume that the weapon was designed to autonomously approach towards the atmosphere should its surface control systems ever be cut off. Using data from its last known orbit, the SOLG's descent point was calculated to be downtown Oured, prompting the Razgriz Squadron to launch towards the city and destroy the satellite before its landing.
Early during New Year's Eve December 31st, the Razgriz Squadron takes off from a freeway in a nearby Osean city, and proceed to make their way to the descent point. On their way there, the team was intercepted by a joint Grabacr-Ofnir fighter formation, who were ready to defend the satellite to their last breath. Despite their efforts, all eight pilots were killed, and the Razgriz continued with their mission.
Eventually, the SOLG reached its estimated descent point, and the Demons began their attack, their objective being to destroy the satellite before it could reach Oured. Racing against time, they commenced attacking the weapon's accelerator systems, dodging debris from the weapon while doing so. The pilots soon succeeded in eliminating all accelerators, causing the satellite to explode over the skies of Oured.
- [Depending on how much time is left until SOLG reentry when Grabacr and Ofnir are defeated, all, some, or none of the following dialogue will take place]
- Nagase: I see light to the east... morning's coming.
- Grimm: Our night flight is over. I can't wait to see it, the most beautiful sunrise ever!
- Snow: And the sun will continue to rise, now and forever.
- Grimm: I just remembered...my birthday's coming up next week.
- Snow: See? Aren't you glad you're still alive?
- Grimm: I bet my mom will be glad to see my brother come back home from Yuktobania.
- Snow: You ought to go make her happy too. We're almost done here.
- Snow: .Captain, I want to thank you.
- Grimm: ...Captain Snow?
- Snow: Flying as a wingman again, I now know how my men felt.
- Nagase: I vowed to myself that I would never lose another flight lead.
- Nagase: And that's what kept me flying up until now. So please...
- Nagase: Please Blaze... let me fly as your wingman just a little longer.
- If the player arrives to the descent point and spares the Belkan fighters, they will self-destruct once the countdown begins.
- Using a number of weapons on the SOLG will yield interesting results.
- Using the ADF-01 FALKEN's Tactical Laser System on the SOLG will instantly destroy the satellite. As well, this will cause the ship's accelerators to detach from the main body, leaving it as a simple rod in shape.
- If the player manages to destroy a single core component of the SOLG with a Rocket Launcher barrage (aircraft such as the MiG-21bis Fishbed have it as a SP weapon), the game will treat the single core being destroyed as if all four had been destroyed, and the mission will successfully complete.
- With a small aircraft like X-29A capable of fly inside the SOLG (fly behind it and you will see a little tunnel) if the player destroys the core at the end of the tunnel the mission will be completed.
- After the Grabacr/Ofnir encounter, a MiG-1.44 MFI, callsign "Replicator", will enter the airspace from the south of Oured, if one minute or more remains on the SOLG counter.
- If the player does not destroy the SOLG before the mission timer runs out, a short cutscene will show the SOLG smashing into Oured in a massive nuclear explosion, before the standard "Mission Failed" message appears.
- The title of the piano tune that begins when Grabacr and Ofnir are defeated and plays until the SOLG descends into the combat airspace is "15 Years Ago".