|The Valley of Kings
王の谷 "Ō no Tani"
|Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War Mission #17|
|Previous Mission||The Demon of the Round Table|
|Objective||Reach Avalon Dam and stop the V2 launch.|
|Date||December 31, 1995|
|Location||Avalon Dam, Principality of Belka|
The Ustio military's investigation of the attack carried out by the heavy command cruiser XB-0 Hresvelgr against the city of Lumen and Valais Air Base by the rebel organization "A World With No Boundaries" in December 25th has led them to discover the existence of Avalon Dam, a Belkan-made missile silo located in the Mund region which serves as the group's central headquarters. Furthermore, they have discovered that A World With No Boundaries is in possession of a V2, an experimental ballistic missile, which they intend to launch.
After fighting their way past an elite fighter squadron at Area B7R, the Galm Team arrives at 15:00hrs. to Mund Valley, right as several Allied aircraft distract the coup forces that the mercenaries may fly through. With the local airspace being protected by an anti-aircraft defense network, Cipher and PJ make their way through Mund Valley, avoiding groups of AA vehicles and incoming fighters as they go. Eventually, they arrive to Avalon Dam itself, at which point the rebel forces begin the final preparations for the V2's launch. With no time to lose, Cipher flies into the insides of Avalon itself and attacks the missile's launch control systems, which results in the launch countdown sequence stopping.
Cipher gets outside Avalon and is greeted by an excited PJ, who exclaims that they "are going to be rich" (if the player flies as a mercenary), "going to be branded as heroes" (if the player flies as a Knight), or that "the war is over" (if the player flies as a soldier). AWACS Eagle Eye tells them to remain in "stand by" as the situation is analyzed. When flying in formation over the now ruined Avalon Dam, an unidentified aircraft enters the airspace at high speed. A light comes from the horizon towards the duo, and PJ dives into Cipher's way, his F-16C Fighting Falcon being destroyed by the "light", a laser beam. Over the radio, the unknown plane's pilot says "Have you found a reason to fight yet...? Buddy."
Approach to AvalonEdit
The player spawns inside a canyon in Mund Valley, at the southern end of the map. The objective is to get to Avalon Dam at the north. All ammunition and health lost in the last mission will be restored here; as well, since the player is far away from Valais Air Base, changing to another aircraft will be impossible at this point,unless you're playing on free mission.
The approach to Avalon is complicated by the fact that the area is covered by an anti-aircraft defense network, which is triggered whenever Cipher flies too far above the rim of the canyon (3,000m.), nearly always shooting down the player. Electronic Countermeasure Pod usage will be rendered useless in this situation, so do not bother using a Jammer aircraft.
After entering the canyon, the player will arrive to a small bridge, where two SAMs and two AA guns are attack Allied aircraft; deal with them as required. When the first bridge is passed, a group of five anti-air vehicles will be waiting on the ground below. Be careful not let the SAMs launch a missile when going north, as evading such projectiles will be made more difficult by the AA network. Two Rafale M will fly through the canyon ahead of the player firing their guns, which are easily avoidable. When the planes have been passed, the player will arrive to the second bridge, which is protected by two pillboxes on the cliffsides and AA vehicles on the ground.
This point ends the first half of the valley run. Several targets on the ground will spawn ahead. As mentioned before, deal with them as required. Following that, the third bridge will appear ahead. When the bridge has been bypassed, two Su-47 Berkut fighters will appear within the canyon; fly low to avoid them and their fire. An EA-18G Growler jammer will appear behind them in Ace difficulty (see "Aces" below.) Behind the aircraft lies the fourth and final bridge, which is occupied by AA guns and SAMs, as usual.
After bridge n°4 has been bypassed, continue flying ahead until Avalon Dam enters into view. Upon entering Avalon Dam airspace, a "Mission Update" will take place.
Assault on the damEdit
After finally arriving to Avalon, the focus of the mission shifts to stopping the launch of the V2. The coup forces will begin preparations for the launch, and with that a countdown begins whose length depends on the difficulty. The objective is to destroy the V2 launch control systems located inside the dam itself. The targets are three core panels found inside the installation, each of which shields the controls with protective "lock joints". When all four lock joints in a panel are destroyed, a launch control is revealed, which must be taken out.
When the mission update occurs, fly through the first opening to enter the insides of Avalon. Players should be wary of their speed during the approach, as it is easy to smash into the environment this way. Destroy as much lock joints as possible in one sweep, then move onto the next. During the mission, it is very likely for one to find an X-29A ace taking off from inside the base.
When all launch controls have been destroyed, the countdown will stop. Fly outside Avalon and wait for the "Mission Accomplished" message. Shortly afterwards a cutscene will take place, which will be followed by the final mission.
- F-35C "Turm" - will spawn north some time after arriving to Avalon.
- X-29A "Bauer" - spawns inside Avalon Dam and attempts to take off. Very easy to spot and destroy.
- F/A-22A "Ritter" - appears west of Avalon after arriving there along with other NPC aircraft.
- YF-23A "Slon" - spawns above the player after the mission update. Expert difficulty; Mercenary ace style.
- Typhoon "Pyoshka" - appears above the canyon rim during the Mund Valley run. Soldier ace style.
- F-14D "Kon" - spawns on the way to Avalon. Knight ace style.
- EA-18G "Springer" - found after the third bridge in the Mund Valley approach. Ace difficulty exclusive.
V2 launch speechEdit
During the attack on Avalon Dam itself and the beginning of the V2 launch countdown, one of A World With No Boundaries' leaders will make an speech over the coup forces' ultimate goal of "removing all borders", which provide further insight into the organization's goal. The speech heard will be determined by the player's Ace Style.
- "We will carry out the new creation of destruction through the power of righteousness. Territories... peoples... authorities... all will be liberated. This is the new state "A World With No Boundaries" will create. Neither nations nor nationalities have meaning. We will erase these unnecessary borders. The World With No Boundaries will pen a new story. The world will change."
- ―Joshua Bristow, Wizard Squadron leader. Heard if the mission is played as a "Mercenary" or "Soldier".
- "The battle to realign the borders has moved to the meeting boardroom. Those lines will give birth to new conflict. Rising above countries and armies, our "World With No Boundaries" will become one. For the ideal. For the people. It's time for a perfect world without restrictions or wars. V2 will erase the old one."
- ―Anthony Palmer, Sorcerer Squadron leader.
- The speech heard during the Avalon attack has a distinctive echoing electronic, "synthesizer" feel. The effect will remain even when flying outside Avalon.
- There is no way to avoid the anti-aircraft defense network on the approach to Avalon. The player's aircraft will suffer damage for apparently no reason, as there are no missiles to evade.
- If the player destroys all gun towers and AA guns on the surface of the facility and in the tunnels, he will earn the "Gold of Annwn" medal.