It made its debut on the handheld Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception.
The XR-45 is a next-generation concept aircraft produced by an unknown manufacturer. As with other limited-production aircraft of its era, control is governed by the COFFIN flight system, which lacks the highly visible external lights emitted other by most planes using the technology, such as the ADF-01 FALKEN.
The Cariburn uses two powerful two-dimensional thrust vectoring engines, reinforced forward-swept wings and a vertical canard beneath the body, making it extremely maneuverable. An extremely large air intake is placed near the cockpit, the aerodynamic effects of which make the plane slightly slower than most contemporary aircraft by countering the engines' power.
Built for air combat, the XR-45 displays a high operational capability as an interceptor and high-altitude fighter, having no equal in air-to-air combat under the right hands.
Joint Assault universe
We've still got some work for you, too, so don't slack off now.
This article or section is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Ace Combat: Joint Assault
How to Unlock
- C01: Graphite black.
- C02: Desert brown camouflage.
- C03: Gray/sky blue camouflage.
- C04: Dark blue.
- C05: Black w/ green.
- C06: Black w/ white triangular patterns in the wings' flaps.
Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
Before the two planes take off, capture both of them in one shot. Got it?
This article or section may require more images or images of better quality.
How to Unlock
- Available at the start of the game.
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
How to Unlock
- Engine: Turbo Engine, Light Engine, Adv. Turbo Engine, Caudal Engine, RAMJet Engine, C-Cycle Engine.
- Wings: Adv. Trimtab, Extra V Canard, Extra Elron, Extra Canard, Sylph Wing (aircraft-exclusive), Adv. Actuator, Adv. Balance Tab, Adv. Anti-Balance Tab.
- Armor: Scale Armor, CFRP Conversion, Ceramic Armor, NERA Armor, TiAl Armor, Composite Armor.
- Weapons: Destructive Missile, Long Range Gun, Extra Hardpoint, Enhanced Special Homing Missile, Tracker Missile, High-Speed Ammunition.
- Cockpit: Emergency Auto-pilot, Raven, Terra Hammer, Hawk Eye, Automatic Machine Gun Fire Device, Tracer, Fenrir ECMS, Sniper OS, Argus, Salamander.
- Standard: Graphite black.
- Leasath: Brown desert camouflage.
- Special 1: Gray/light blue camouflage. Unlocked by completing Operation X.
- Special 2: Deep blue.
- The XR-45 Cariburn's airframe is possibly inspired by Super Sylph Yukikaze's FFR-41MR/FRX-00 "Mave" fighter. The description of the "Sylph Wing" wing part is described as providing maneuverability "befitting of its name", alluding to the FFR-41MR's extreme maneuverability.
- The name of this aircraft is an erroneous localization of "Caliburn", an alternate name for the sword Excalibur. This is due to the fact that "L" sounds do not exist in Japanese and are substituted with "R" sounds instead.
- While not explicitly stated, it is possible that Neucom, previously known as the Erusian Air and Space Administration, had a hand in developing this aircraft, due to the former being responsible for the R-Series of aircraft, and that COFFIN technology was used. This could also be said for the YR-302 Fregata and the YR-99 Forneus. The third special color for the XR-45 even makes the aircraft look like an R-103 Delphinus 3.