|Real world information|
|Appearances|| Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception |
The YR-99 Forneus was a next-generation combat aircraft from the Strangereal world.
The YR-99, codenamed "Forneus," is one of the first aircraft alongside the Fenrir, XR-45 and YR-302 that use the COFFIN system for piloting and navigation. Other than this fact, there is no tactical information on the aircraft itself. However, its resemblance is extremely close to Neucom Inc.'s R-101 Delphinus I, seen in Ace Combat 3. Because of this, there is a high possibility that this aircraft was a prototype for Neucom's (At the time, EASA's) R-100 franchise, but no proof exists to substantiate this claim.
The Forneus's 4th colour scheme in Ace Combat X and Joint Assault also closely resembles that of the Delphinus, possibly as a nod to Ace Combat 3's eponymous plane series. Either way, it is a highly maneuverable aircraft, further enhancing its capabilities as an exceptional multirole fighter.
The YR-99 makes another appearance in Ace Combat: Joint Assault. This Forneus, however, lacks the lights over the COFFIN cockpit area as it did in the previous installment of Ace Combat. Strangely though, the 6th paint scheme of the Forneus includes the lights unlike the other paint schemes.
Whether or not scheme 6 has the lights while not supposed to, or schemes 1-5 lacking them while supposed to. It still resembles more a final design error, as when examined in the model viewer, the black spots over the cockpit are seen, usually serving as typical aesthetic flickering of the COFFIN lights, while no actual lights are present.
- Gun: 1x 25mm GAU-12 Equalizer 4 Barreled Cannon
- Missiles: AIM-9M Sidewinder
- LAGM: AGM-88A HARM
- SFFS: CBU-87 Submunitions Bomb
- XMAA: AIM-120C AMRAAM
Ace Combat X (default stats)Edit
- Speed: 72
- Air-to-Air: 42
- Air-to-Ground: 36
- Mobility: 78
- Stability: 60
- Defense: 45
Ace Combat Joint Assault (default stats)Edit
- Speed: ?
- Air-to-Air: ?
- Air-to-Ground: ?
- Mobility: ?
- Stability: ?
- Defense: ?
Ace Combat X: Skies of DeceptionEdit
- Aurelia: Light gray.
- Leasath: Desert brown camouflage.
- Special 1: Charcoal black top, light gray bottom with few white trims.
- Special 2: Ghost white with blue segments, remotely similar to the R-101 Delphinus 1.
Ace Combat: Joint AssaultEdit
- C01: Light gray.
- C02: Desert brown camouflage.
- C03: Charcoal black top, light gray bottom with few white trims.
- C04: Ghost white with blue segments, remotely similar to the R-101 Delphinus 1.
- C05: Dark gray, with purple segments.
- C06: Dark blue. The only paint scheme that has working COFFIN lights.
- The YR-99 is named after Forneus, a mythological demon and Marquis of Hell from The Lesser Key of Solomon. It bestowed charisma and good reputations to individuals who pledged their loyalty to it.
- The fourth color pattern in Ace Combat X and Joint Assault resembles the traditional color used by the R-101 Delphinus #1 from Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.
- In Ace Combat: Joint Assault, the COFFIN lights on the canopy of the aircraft are not present. The same phenomenon occurs with other aircraft using COFFIN.