The Z.O.E. were designed to take the place of humans during the Usean Rebellion. Confirmed planes loaded with the Z.O.E. program were the F-14D Super Tomcat, F/A-18E Super Hornet, YF-22 Lightning II, F-15S and the experimental fighter ADF-01 Falken ZOE. The planes equipped with the Z.O.E. system were painted red to distinguish them from other aircraft. The program underwent modifications every time it flew in combat and, later in the war, the Z.O.E. could perform advanced air combat maneuvers, such as the Pugachev's Cobra, albeit this has been only witnessed with the ZOE General and ZOE Commander.
There are five Z.O.E. A.I.:
- The Captain (F-14D Super Tomcat) in Sledgehammer
- The Major (F/A-18E Super Hornet) in Seagull
- The Colonel (YF-22 Lightning II) in Power Play
- The General (F-15S) in Kingpin
- The Commander (ADF-01 Falken ZOE) in Fighter's Honor
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon LegacyEdit
The Z.O.E. aircraft return in Assault Horizon Legacy, albeit with minor changes.
- The Captain instead appears in Midnight Assassin
- The Colonel flies the YF-23 Black Widow, and appears in Green Bird
- The General flies the F-15S/MTD
All of the aircraft are capable of performing advanced maneuvers such as the Kulbit from the initial encounter. In addition, the F-15S/MTD and ADF-01 are capable of producing a jamming signal that not only temporarily disrupts the HUD, it will also create bogus targeting boxes onscreen similar to the jamming effects from Ace Combat 5's mission "Blind Spot".
The ADF-01 in Z.O.E. colours also features in Extra Missions 2 and 4.